Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DevildogFL

Nascar 4 - horrible sound/graphics (d3d) in Win2k

When playing Nascar 4 under windows 2000, I am seeing some rather annoying problems. First thing I notice is that the shadow dropped under the cars looks like static from a TV that has no cable plugged into it , on a unused channel. And the sound, i have this nasty noise in the background that sounds almost like pieces of broken glass being dropped on hard plastic!

My system is as follows:

MSI K7T Pro 2 A MB

256 MB PC133 Micron SDRAM

Leadtek Geforce 2 GTS 32MB (nVidia drivers, have tried 6.xx series and 7.xx)

SB Live Value (Liveware 3.0 for Win2k)

Any suggestions, or is this what other people are seeing as well?

Thanks!

Devildog@cfl.rr.com

Are you overclocking your GTS?

As for the SBLive!, some people have had problems with the cards, others havent.

I used the leaked Dets w/o problems, Id recommend the 10.80 Dets and they ran fine, and right now Im using the 11.01 Dets. These are not the final versions, but they run very well.

Nope, not overclocking a bit... very weird, I dont have any issues in any other games that I play, D3D or OpenGL.. I am going to try OpenGL when i get off work and see if that fixes the problem, but the sound is still an issue.

Id try the leaked Dets if OpenGL doesnt work out.

I do know that SBLive!users have discussed in detail about SBLive! issues and Im pretty sure something like that came up here. I havent really paid too much attention to the SBLive! problems, mainly cuz I dont have one.

Also, check your speakers and connections, cuz who knows if that might be the problem.

Appreciate the input, but LOL it isnt the speaker connections...soooo, i think we can just chalk this up to another issue to make me want creative to release Liveware 4.0 that much sooner (if they release it at all!)

As for as video goes, currently I am running the 7.58 drivers from nVidia, have also tried a whole slew of the 6.xx series... keep on getting the exact same thing..

Like I said, I'll give opengl a shot - it seems to run faster under Win98SE, so, it might make some sort of difference under Win2k.

By the way, anyone try N4 under XP beta 2 yet?

Yeah, the 9x line is faster, but its not necessarily stable. I can still get a pretty good score from my Win2k only pc with just a GF2MX with the lastest leaked Dets. ...like 5200~5300 in 3dmark 2000+overclocking. My other system is a dual boot with Win2k and WinME using a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP and really cant tell the difference playing games. Benchmarking ME does have it over 2k by ~1000 points in 3dmark 2000, but I dont care too much for the 9x line personally.

It really comes down to the drivers not the hardware. Nvidia does a pretty good job under Win2k with the drivers, while ATI and the pretty much non-existant 3dfx had some major drawbacks, especially ATI. Nvidia cards seem to be the way to go, unless the Kyro 2 can rack up sales.

About the speakers: I just figured it could be just one of those "D'oh!" things, just to be sure. wink