Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
-blake

Starcraft on Win2k

Hi all,

I just upgraded from Win98se to Win 2k pro a couple of days ago. I've been testing all of my programs and so far only one game has refused to "behave" properly.

So far, whenever I've logged off battle.net from Starcraft the program will not completely close. It remains open on the task bar, and I can't close it using the task manager which says it is not responding either. The only way to kill the program is to hard boot the system. It seems like the program is waiting for the network connection to close because I can't open my network properties until the program is closed. Is there any fix out there? Can I do anything with the Compatibility tools Microsoft has up on their site? Or am I stuck just having to live without it?

Other than that, everything seems to run fine. I don't really want to dual boot 98, or go back, Win 2k is so much nicer. (No BSOD or Illegal operations yet)

In terms of my system:

Win 2k Pro with SP1, and the compatibility update

Direct X 8.0a

Dell XPS B733r

P3 733

128 mb RDRAM

20 GB

Geforce 256 (Detonator 3 drivers)

Realtek Network card (Win 2000 drivers)

-blake

Though Its not exactly alot of help, I have this same problem whenever I either use Task Manager or Alt-F4 to close SC. If I exit the game normally, not just logging out of bnet, but using the Exit option in the game, then I never have the problem. Funny how this is the only game that gives me this problem...

I looked for DRWTSN32 in the task manager, and it isn't there. So there must be something else that's hanging the program. I still don't get it though, how a program written for both Win 9x and NT 4.0 refuses to run correctly on 2000, which is basically NT with some 9x enhancements. I've also tried Appcompat.exe to no avail, I can't simulate Win 98 because SC installed under a NT config, and a Win NT simulation just reproduces the same results, and also locks up appcompat.exe. This is very frustrating since everything else works(relatively speaking after I've practically reinstalled most of my apps to stop them returning errors to Win 2000).

-blake

Anybody have any idea what could be wrong with my configuration? I got a reply from Blizzard but it was a standard automated reply from the fixes it suggested.

What about the people out there with Starcraft working without a hitch? What's your system configuration like? Network settings etc? Maybe that could give me an idea for fixing this problem.

-blake

Strange, I had that problem before, but since I reinstalled windows a few weeks ago it's been fine. I really couldn't say what differences between the two installs there are. Same drivers, same service pack etc...

--

Xiven

upgrading an OS is usally going to cause problems its better to clean install it.

You think a clean install might be a better route? That means I have to back up, back up, back up. Time to go searching for the important files I guess. That might fix my problem, my registry and windows folders are probably clogged with 98 stuff. I'll give it a go I guess.

-blake

Well, Starcraft works without a hitch now. The clean reinstall worked. Now I just have to get everything back on my computer. Thanks for the help guys.

-blake