Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bottleneck

mouse buttons

Don't know if this belongs to the games section,but does anyone know why I can't use the 4-th & 5-th mouse buttons in games(deus ex,unreal tournament,serious sam...)on my M$ IntelliMouse Web?I have IntelyPoint 3.2 installed!

thnx.

[This message has been edited by bottleneck (edited 25 March 2001).]

You will need to remap the buttons in order for them to work.

By default they are for Forward and Backward in a browser.

For games, the best bet is to map them to Page Up and Page Down. You can then configure the game to assign functions to these keys.

Pressing the relevant mpuse button will then activate that function.

Is your mouse plugged into the USB port? If not then you cannot use those buttons.

well it works except in serious sam,only the intelli... thing has to be loaded in memory,but it isn't very large~1.5M.

and dosfreak it is on ps2,and I can use the extra buttons in windows and now I can also use them in games!

I like using the forward and back feature on my ms trackball optical..if i change the forward and back to pgup and pgdown then the forward and back won't be available in internet explorer.Any way to remap the keys in internet explorer so that ie see's pgup and pgdown as forward and back?

Thanks!

i have pondered this for some time but never came up with a solution.

There isn't an easy solution. You will need to map the keys to Back/Forward when you want to surf and Page Up/Down when you want to play.

The other solution is to leave them on Page Up/Down and get an Internet keyboard that has these buttons on it.

I got the MS Internet Keyboard Pro a while ago, and the Back/Forward buttons work just fine.

hey oldspice set the 'back' button to backspace works the same in explorer,don't know about forward though. confused

You could set up different user profiles. One for gaming and one for browsing. Since the Intellimouse software saves settings to the profile, you can have the buttons in the gaming profile be pgup & pgdn and the browsing profile be Back & Forward.

how would i set up a shortcut for a new profile and an administrator profile on my desktop so that i could double-click an icon and logout and come back as a different user and vice-versa...or can i switch profiles on the fly without logging out?

i don't understand how to make a different mouse profile with intellimouse software.can someone explain..i assume it means creating a new user for gaming and have the mouse setting specific for gaming and then create a user for surfing with my forward and back buttons on my mouse working.anybody explain?

DosFreak: I'm using a USB Intellimouse here and it works just fine.

Some games support 4th and 5th buttons natively (like Half-Life, yay). Other than that, you do have to do the remap trick. I could have sworn UT worked with it natively though . . . did you try flipping the DirectInput setting?