Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imtim83

Compatibility Modes

I got the march Compatibility update and saw what yall were talking about.

i tried it on my sim theme park game and so far no luck frown

but i will try it on more of my games to see

hope so

i hope its not just a waste

should get better

If your game is not listed in the list of fixed games then the App comaptibility update will not work for that game. All the App compatibility updates is is a registry settings that points to a dll. When the game is executed it is lied to by that .dll.

Well does windows xp have more .dll for the games that like wont work on my win2k pro right now?

curious cause people said they got simtheme park and nascar revolution working but not twisted mental 2 working on windows xp.

Really am curious if this new Compatibility Mode is like the one is windows xp

Thanks

Yes, you can move the files from XP into 2000. The .dll's are compressed into one big .sdb file. When the prog needs this .dll it's extracted from the .sdb. When replacing the SDB that comes with the Application Compatibility kit with the one that comes with Whistler you will have ALOT more compatibility options.

how do i get the one from windows xp (whistler) please

could you maybe send it to me over aim , or something

just that

not the whole windows xp

thanks

the .sdb from windows xp latest release i am meaning.

and where would i put it also

btw

one more thing i found 4 .sdb files on my win2k

sysmain.sdb

sysmain.sdb

w2kmain.sdb

secedit.sdb

Download the Windows 2000 Application Compatibility Toolkit from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/compatibility/

Install it.

Download Winzip from www.winzip.com

Install it.

Now go to C:\program files\ACT\applications directory.

Right-Click on Appfix.exe and do "Extract to folder...."

Now replace the files within this folder from the ones from whistler.

Now right-click on the .inf and choose install.

This will copy the files to C:\winnt\AppPatch so that Qfixapp can use them.

Run Qfixapp to use the new updates!

Tell us how many updates there are in there compared to the ACT. Default ACT is 70.

All Qfixapp cares about is w2kmain.sdb. You can just rename the w2kmain.sdb to w2kmain.act and then copy the Whistler W2kmain.sdb into there. But Watch out! 2000 watches what happens to that file and if you replace it with another it takes the w2kmain.sdb from the appfix.exe in the C:\program files\act\applications and copies it to the C:\winnt\apppatch directory. So rename appfix.exe to appfix.exb before you play around with the C:\winnt\apppatch directory otherwise your going to confuse the files. (You'll know when the files are being replaced because a dialog file transfer windows in the upp-left hand side of the screen will flash briefly)

You can also rename the other .sdb files to w2kmain.sdb and see what's in those do. Also there are other tools in the c:\program files\act\application directory while will allow you to make your own shims and such.

really trying to see you know like to get the same Compatibility Mode thing in win2k so i can maybe run my sim theme park , nascar revolution , and twisted metal 2 game in win2k pro

and maybe other games like dos games with sound

like duke nuked 3d , frankstein ,etc

oops, I though you had the XP ones. Well if you can get ahold of them then that should work. I don't have the latest XP beta handy. Mabye someone else does?

no windows 2k has it now that comp. mode thingy!

in march comp. update on windows update for win2k

its just like windows xp one you right click on a shortcut of game/app and chose from win95 , 98 , and nt 4.0 but none worked for my games frown

i know there got to be a way to make the games work cause nothing is really impossible just takes time.

i mean there must be some emulation thing or something to get these games to work

its a pain in the butt with dual booting really is

espically with small HD

Just ask someone who has XP for the files. Someone will come along eventually and notice this thread....eventually. wink

or if you don't feel like figuring out how to get them to work you can just send me the files when you get them (they should be easily under 1m zipped) and I'll figure it out for ya. Unfortunately I don't think I have those games you listed....so that will be a problem.