Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
steev

Thomas the tank engine - Great Festival Adventure

I know this is a kids game, but my daughter loves it. Unfortutely when I moved from Win98 to Win2K it stopped working. It just says it doesn't work on NT 5.0

I've tried the support, but they say it's for 95/98 and will not be updated.

I tried apcompat, but get an error about msvcrt.dll (I think) not working on Win32s.

Any ideas?

Steve

Try VMware or doing a dual boot with 98.

Be warned though: VMware will take some resources away, so you might want to think about some extra RAM if you go that route, and especially if you only have 128MB of ram.

I don't really want to dual boot just for one program and VMware will cost more money.

Actually I may have a 3rd solution. I am getting another (old) PC soon, so she can use that.

I moved to 2000 for more stability, which I got, but didn't anticipate this problem. I don't play many games myself these days, but I may have another bash at Omicron some time.

Steve

Yeah, some things make Win2k a pain, but it depends on how big of one it is. I have some dos-based games, but since I wasnt concered as much with those and everything else would work, I switched.

As long as the game will run under the other pc half way decently, I wouldnt sweat it.

Also Ive heard there's a new version of the compatability app on Microsofts website, and that it's supposed to fix some issues with the one on the Win2k cd.

right click the icon on the desktop go to properties. got to the compatibility tab. check the 'run this programe in compatibility mode for:' box. and select windows 98 / windows ME and it will work perfectly.

hehe, this thread was form nearly 4 years ago, so I guess they don't need a fix now or have sorted it out themselves.

But, good job in posting the solution anyway

My lord 2001,, ive gone back in time!...shouldent this topic be closed by now by the mods or sumthing?.....

I think this guy would have windows Xp now anywayz smile

sheeze 2001 aye?.... still cant belive its still up...lol

Why would it have to stay?

The message was made "2001" which was 4years ago!, which likely the guy found the solution within 4yrs or he just gave up!?

PLus how many gamers today play thomas the tank engine?...lol i sure DO.. urhh did i say do, i meant DONT!!..hehehe

Most of those type of DOS games can be run in a program called DOSBOX that emulates an x86. It is easy to use and I've been able to run numerous of my old dos game in this emulator. Check it out at http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/ Actually, I have a Thomas the Tank Engine game and tried it out in the emulator and it worked. I don't know if it is the same game because are a few Thomas games out there. smile

Hey - I'm glad it's still up and available to view. This thread a couple of problems I had with some old games, including Thomas the Tank Engine.