Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
phantomhitman

please for love of god help me

I am an avid gamer, and an avid designer. So win2k was the reasonbale choice for me. I can play games such as unreal and quake with ease, but when it comes down to my favorites-I CANT PLAY THEM!!!!! Need for Speed 4, please help me get this installed. I have tried everything. PLease any tips or hints, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, does nfs 5 porsche unleashed work under win2k???

One of the Compatibility Updates (It will be contained in the latest one) deals with the NFS 4 problem. Porshe Unleashed does not work, however. I have heard of some users getting it up and running, but have never seen it done successfully.

porsche works just fine for me....

the fix most commonly required is to delete the gimme.dll file, and then it works normally

ok here is the deal. when i insert the cd nnto my pc t install it the autorun comes up. i click on install, i pick english as my language. then the "you need win98 or win95 to play this game" comes up. so i have tried the apcomp.exe way-i pick win98-i browse for the setup.exe of nfs4-and pick english as my langage-and the error "setup.exe has generated error and must be restarted" pops up. ok now im pissed. is there anyway in the world i can install this game!!!!!!!!!! please help me.

if anyone has icq or aol instant messenger and would like to walk me through the installation i would be greatful. at this point in time im caliing different places to see how much win98 is, and how much they charge to install it. all for one game-NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!!!!! ICQ IS 108298429 AOL IS UNKNOWNCHITMAN this would mean a lot

no shs doesnt save anything. i have tried that-that is where the problem is!!! i cant use apcomp.exe to install it!!!!!!!!!

for some reason beyond my knowledge i cant use apcomp.exe. it comes up with an error message saying setup.exe has generated error and will be shutdown. so i cant use apcomp. i will however check out the microsoft site for a newer toolkit. please tell me where i can find it at the site just in case i cant find it. thanks so much to every1 how is tryin to help me.

did you try to clear out the temp directory? It may have a corrupted exe and if you unpack anything to the "temp dir" it may not overwrite the corrupted file and it will continuously puke.

------------------

I cant help it I have Attention Deficit...hey whats that over there?

okay everybody!!!! after spending about 30 minutes at microsoft site i figured out why nfshs will not work. i had to download a new patch (not toolkit) that updates win2k to accept more applications. this actually let me install nfshs!!!! i had to install it through apcomp.exe but this time it worked!!!!!!!! i have the game installed and im reading the file from the patch i downloaded from here. i am confused though, what exactly do i rename the shortcut on my desktop to (it says rename it to "?:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes\nfshs.exe" –patchrestart but when i do i get an error message saying that it is not valid and to make sure that the path and filename are correct) maybe i am just reading this guys directions wrong but im almost there!!!! someone jsut help an idiot like me out.

errr.... the question mark there should be replaced with the drive letter that the game is installed on.

Well, i don't want to piss you off even more than you already are, but we are all trying to help you so don't get so mad when someone replies with something that you have already tried, or something that you already know.

These answers given to you seem to be the best answers you are going to get to resolve this problem, and if they aren't working for you then maybe you need to look into other options. Have you thought of dual booting? Use Win2k for your designing and 98 or Winme for your games? Its situations like this that most people resolve by doing a dual boot so that they get the best of both worlds. Its just a thought, and it will solve your problems. If you can't play your favorite games on win2k, then why go through all this trouble?? It seems as though this situation is frustrating you more than then the extra time it would take you to boot into another OS would. If you can't resolve this problem another way, you might want to think about this. Good luck.

No if had rigth click on the shortcut then go to Properties do see the Target:

You didn't read this very good now did you.

Step 4:

Rigth Click on the Need For Speed High Stakes shortcut on the Desktop

go to properties you need edit it Change Target from this

"?:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes\nfshs.exe"

to this

"?:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes\nfshs.exe" –patchrestart

This tell NFSHS to run multiplayer mode & it only way to get the nfshs to start runing

need to say EA need can fix this but there give eveybody B.S. story about Windows2000

is for business Only & it not for Games we know this not ture.

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 17 March 2001).]

i have called 3 different places today about dual booting. all 3 places said they couldnt do it because i didnt buy any hardware from them so they couldnt install it. this is complete bullshit!!! i would do it myself but i dont trust myself( i have read 3 different tutorials on how to do it). besides, i would have to uinstall win2k, install win98 na dthen reinstall win2k. that is a little extreme just to play one game that should work anyway. and shs-what does the first line of your reply mean-you mispelled or left out a word. i did right click-i tried to rename-but the error message "make sure that file name exists. which makes sense, because how do you create a shortcut to something that is not there to start with!! i am being patient, just because i put exclamation marks doesnt mean im a smart *** . i am greatful to those who have helped so far. i am about to try to play nfshs again-i will report back with the errors.

it seems to me that you need to take some control of your OS, reinstall for christ's sake then, or go back to 9x

Here the other one more you try to come from KODEN post

FYI: For anybody who is using the -patchrestart argument. Using -d3d1 works a lot better. Instead of starting at the multiplayer screen making you back out, the game starts normally.

Hehe that good one phantomhitman.

Let say you install it on C:\

so try editing the shortcut & must like did this way

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes\nfshs.exe –patchrestart

Then yes get that message about the shortcut

It should like this

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes\nfshs.exe" –patchrestart

Sorry phantomhitman I'am world best spelling

so bare with me you get it.

Come on folk liting up we know he's green horn at it did you your self forget that at one point in time you your self was green horn.

well guys-after probably pissing everyone in the world off- I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! beatiful, i had tears in my eyes! a big thank you goes out to everyone that helped me, got mad at me, and just stopped by!! if anyone needs help installing the game i know a plain-english-easy way to do it. i didnt rename the shortcut, i just updated the registry and it worked. im off to download ervy single track and car i can get my hands on. please everyone, forgive me, and i truly appreciate your help. anyways, eddie-what r u talking about? i have control over my os.

by the way- i didnt rename the shortcut (as i said in my earlier post) and i didnt go to multi player. the game starts up normal and works fine. if i can help you i will. good luck in the future. o yeah-im about to install nfs 5. this should be fun smile anyone know how to do it, or does it actually work without modifying anything?

Well just install Win2000 to do some beta testing of drv for my WinTV-PVR about darn time I'am getting sick of Win98SE hope lee soon I be able to can Win98SE.

I be sure make note of this to see if there is a eazy way to install NFSHS now that there thas been lot compatible update for Win2000, 6mos Win98SE drv me nuts hehe oh well I just this love this MPEG2 Recorder.

I have been working with Win2k pro for quite a while now. I HAD NFS4 working fine until recently. I went to do a reinstall and now all it gives me is an access violation through Dr. Watson. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this recently? Perhaps as a result of SP2? Thanks for any help in this matter.

Zardoz