Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
h-bomb

Voodoo3 OpenGL

I installed Win2k about 2 weeks ago. It took me forever to find the right drivers for the voodoo3, but when i run them, the games look horrible. I have a 900mhz athlon w/ 448mb ram. In win98, I would get 100fps, and it would drop to 60 at the most with a screen full of action (half-life). Now, i get 100fps, but as soon as there is any action or movement whatsoever, the fps drops to 30. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? I have tried all the win2k drivers for the voodoo3 i can find, but it hasnt helped.

thanks,

justin

I believe its the Voodoo 3 1000. IT came with my compaq computer, and it has the same specs that the 2000 (and 3000, i think) has. The card only has a monitor out.

Yesterday i installed the 1.01.04 beta drivers. When i ran half-life (counter-strike) i now get 60 fps max, but the gameplay is smooth. It only drops to about 55 or so.

Ok, you have a Voodoo3 2000, I own the same card. You are getting great framerates for that card. What resolution are you running it at. I crank mine up to 1024 when i play CS.

Stick with those drivers and install a little program called wicked GL.

You can get it from www.wicked3d.com . that should give you a little more speed and smoothness.

Good Luck, Sparkhard

I am running it at 800x600. I want to run it higher, cause i have a 19" monitor, but the framerates drop. When i use the new drivers, i get 100 fps....but what happens really makes me mad. If i strafe left and right then walk straight...it seems as though the display skips for about 50 frames. It's kinda hard to explain unless you see it. When i used the 1.01.04 drivers, that never happened, but i only got 60 fps. BTW- i also tried the wicked drivers...and they did the same. What drivers are you using (before wicked, if you use it). What I'll do is uninstall the drivers and start fresh from there.

thanks,

justin

Post some system specs. you shouldt be getting 100 fps with that card. The MOST i got with my Voodoo 3 3500 was 60 (of course this was at 1154x960).

You will probably get around 30-50 on 1024 with the voodoo 3 2000. If it skips to hell to where you cant play it then something else is wrong.

Does this only happen in Ogl ? oh, and dont forget the system specs.

Sparkhard

AMD Athlon 900mhz thunderbird

448 mb ram

Voodoo3 2000

Soundblaster Live X-Gamer 5.1

Windows 2000 Pro (retail)

Right now i am using the 1.01.04 drivers...i get 60 fps in counter-strike (using the mini drivers for open gl or whatever)

In win98 i was getting 100fps (with the max fps command and running 800x600), and it would drop down to 50-60 or so.