Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marlboro

Windows 2000 and copied CDs ?????

I have no problem running original CDs, but as if i want to play copied CD-s, they install fine, but when i replace .exe file, and double click on it, there is always some error. It is 100% crack thing. There is something wrong with cracks. HELP!

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OLEerror:
Something about crack. You should really stay away from that stuff. wink</font>

Especially stay away from crack while attempting to apply game cracks.

(No-CD game patches work just fine for me under Win2K, as well as duplicated game CD's.)

------------------
"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999
"Talking to DeadCats is like talking to a dead cat." -MrsDeadCats, 2001

If you have a CD recorder try using Clone CD or Blind Read. Former is better at tackling protected disks since it can read sub-channel data and the hole 2048Byte sector but latter is a better program then you don't have to use any cracks. If you use Blind read you can also use Nero to burn the images once you extarct them but it doesn't always work on games like Diablo II. so stick to Clone. Download it from its page and you can find a crack anywhere.

All joking aside from the above posters I, too, have ran into this issue. Win2k has very strict control of it's memory space and in particular presents a problem in regards to the "chunks" of memory that it provides to games to operate in. This memory space is designed to emulate the kind of space that a game would encounter in a 98 machine.

Win2k is inherently more stable because of this in that memory leaks and poor programming techniques are restricted to the window in memory that the OS has provided to it. Once the application terminates then the memory is recovered (theoretically). In a 98 machine that memory isn't policed as well and can in fact consume resources long after the application or game has closed.

Cracking techniques can employ memory address spoofing to convince the copy protection that it is seeing what it expects to find on the CD when it is in fact being read from memory. Many of the "cracked .exes" that you get from web sites are designed to redirect that seek for the cd to a memory location. With the draconian control that 2k has over it's memory I am finding that many cracks aren't behaving in the same manner on 2k as they do in their 98 cousins.

I expect that this is a more prevalent problem than many folks understand and instead have been attributing the failure of their "backed-up" or "burned" versions of their games failures to Win2k than to the method in which they have cracked the .exe

Playing backed up versions of your games is fine and legal and must continue to be possible. I have lost too many games to cd scratches when a backup could have saved the cost of replacing the CD.

[This message has been edited by bhembree (edited 28 February 2001).]

These days crackers are getting lazy ..they dont test their crack anymore. Theres no pride in their skills or work.

Most crackers crack a game on their platform ..whee it works on 98 but not on win2k. Game in question AOE2 (nice one there fellas)

If its a cd check thing ..you could try getting DAEMON tools which emulates stuff.

Or

you could try copying your cds using clonecd ..if your cd drive supports it.