Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sarvm72

Masters of Orion II and Win2K issues

I'm having trouble getting Masters of Orion II to run on my laptop with Win2K. The game is the 95/98 version of MOOII.

Game ran fine on same laptop before Win2K upgrade (Win95), and runs fine on Win2K dektop computers.

Laptop is IBM thinkpad (Model 600E, Pentium 350 MHz), with NeoMagic video chipset (NeoMagic 256AV drivers), 256 Mb RAM, Toshiba brand CR-ROM (24X). I have most recent drivers for video chipset, CD-ROM, and have DirectX installed. I've also tried running CD configuration tools to slow the drive speed (down to anything from 2X to 16X), thinking that might have been the problem (no dice).

I'm going to look into using apcompat.exe, but have not tried it yet. Any suggestions as to what to try in acompat.exe or what else to try?

Thanks for any help,

Steven Van Metre

Moo2 does not work under w2k.

It looks like it does but once you enter the game mouse keeps locking up and u have to press mouse buttons to release it.

It is verry frustrating and you don't have much control on where your cursor is.

Sorry Tough

I have no problem running MoO2 in Windows 2000. I ocassionally get the mouse lock-up problem, but that is rare and easily fixed by pressing ESC.

You shouldn't need apcompat to run the program. Are you using a mouse, or the built-in nub thingie? My guess is that is probably where the problem is.

Also, does the game install? Or is that where you are having problems at? Do you receive any error messages?

OLEerror, thanks for the reply.

When running MOOII on a Win2K desktop, I have no problems (like you say, have to press ESC to fix occasional mouse lock-up). On laptop, totally different story:

The game does install successfully. I can get to the main menu screen (Play, Uninstall, etc.) options by letting the CD auto-run. However, can't get past selecting Play from this menu, or from Windows Start menu, or by double clicking the Orion95.exe.

Without running apcompat.exe, all these options lead to blank (black) screen for five seconds, followed by return to Windows desktop.

With apcompat.exe, get following error:

"MSVCRT.DLL for Win32

Error: MSVCRT.DLL is not compatible with Win32s"

I've tried looking for a more recent version of MSVCRT.dll than what I'm running, but can't find one (or one that spcifically mentions compatibility with Win32s.)

I am using a mouse (not the built-in nub), and I've also updated video and sound drivers, but still no luck.

By the way, Areid posted a similar question for Star Wars Racer and Win2k "Games won't work under Win2k" (at least he got the same error).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Steven