Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AustinJrock

Win2k Pro doesnt like Games?

Hello all, I'm impressed with this website, but until now have been nothing but a lurker. I have alot of experience with Win2k from work, But until now I've always used 98SE at home. I just loaded Win2k Pro, and while trying to load all my games back up, I've had ALOT of problems, hence this post. As of right now, I've only tried to install 2 of my Frequently Played games, and have listed the problems associated with each:

Diablo 2 - I get this installed successfully, but upon going to the main startup screen (the "campfire menu") the choppiness of the flames, etc is HORRIBLE. In 98 this was fixed by installing DirectX 6 (which is on the CD) but upon trying to do so, it tells me that "Installing DirectX is not available in Windows 2000."

Starcraft - I cant even get this game installed. As simple a game as this is, you'd think it would'nt have any problems, but about halfway through installing the game (not the expansion) the system consistantly reboots.

My system:

Pentium II 450

256 MB PC100 Ram

Iwill VD133 Motherboard

SB PCI128 Sound

Voodoo 5 5500 Video

Adaptec 2930B SCSI controller with a Plextor 8/20 CDR attached

Generic CDROM

The drivers for the video card are the ones that initaially came with the CD from the Video card (3dfx tools.) Every other driver so far is the generic PnP drivers from the OS. I'm willing to try any suggestions/tricks everyone can give me toward this. I'd like to use 2k at home, but if I cant get my games up and running I'll just have to go back to '98. Thanks in advance for any help,

Chris (AustinJrock)

1. Install Service Pack 1 you can get it in Windows Update that fixes a lot of gaming problems.

2. Get the latest W2K drivers for you vid card:http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml (the 1.04 ones)

3. You can't install anything earlier than DirectX 7 (which is already inluced when you installed W2K) If the above don't work try installing Direct X 8 for W2K.

Eddie314 grow up.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited 26 February 2001).]

Thanks Spaceman, I'm going to try all of this tonight; hopefully I'll have some luck. I appreciate the suggestions.

And to Eddie: If that came across as a complaint post, then you SEVERELY misread/misinterpreted the post.

[This message has been edited by AustinJrock (edited 26 February 2001).]

download windowsXP 2428 its v good for games. I gave up getting games running smoothly in win2k, 50% slower for me than winME, but winXP lets games run almost as fast as winmE for me + has proper compatability mode.

If your games run 50% slower in Win2k than they do under WinME then you are doing something wrong.

It simply doesn't happen.