Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greggy

Flickering in Everquest with GF2 MX

A friend of mine just got a new PC:

1GHz AMD T'Bird, Abit KT7A, 256Mb RAM, 32Mb AGP GeForce2 MX, SB Vibra 128 PCI, running Windows 2000 Pro.

We've installed all the patches that I know about for such a system, including SP1, all M$ Windows Update patches (eg compatability) M$ VIA AGP update pre SP2, VIA 4in1 drivers ver 4.28a (w/o the IDE BM part as this kills the DVD-ROM) etc etc

We have tried many combinations BIOS settings such as AGP arpeture size (32 thru 256), 2x/4x AGP, Fast writes on/off, etc etc.

We have tried many versions of nvidia drivers such as 6.31, 6.34, 6.47, 6.50, 6.62 WHQL and 7.52 and have found that the 6.47 drivers seem to be the best so far.

Nothing is overclocked, and everything is running nice'n'cool.

PROBLEM: Everything is perfect except EverQuest (which happens to be his favourite game!!). All other games/apps such as Unreal, UT, Q3A, Q3TA, CS, HL, X-Tension, 3D Mark 2000, AvP etc etc work perfectly with no problems at all. The PC is very stable, no crashes as all so far (we put it together on Saturday).

Does anyone know why EverQuest gets bad flickering in any resolution above 640x480 ?

Please help as this is driving him (and thus me) mad!!!!!!

YO!

same **** append here....on bx board (asus p2b) p3 -600 .

i think this vga adapter sux coz all run 100% with my tnt2 ultra from diamond!

demoneye

Update -

we ripped out the GF2 MX and installed a lowly 32Mb TNT2 M64 AGP card for testing and...

ALL PROBLEMS FIXED WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING ELSE!

The GF2 MX is going back to the shop tomorrow where they can jam it up their A S S. He's replacing it with an ASUS GeForce2 GTS!

Moral of the story - If your using AMD CPUs you may want to stay away from the GeForce2 MX cards, as I have heard of others with weird problems with the GF2 MX, I didn't believe them b4 but now I do!

p.s. my own GeForce2 GTS card also worked perfectly in his machine.

Hmmm, I am using a PIII 933 on a genuine Intel D815EEA mobo and a Leadtech Winfast2 GTS - and the only game now (MW4 works, and HL now works in OGL with 7.52!!!) having a problem is EQ too! But not screen flicekr - I get the desktop CURSOR embedded in the screen! Sometimes its the pointer (use the KEY from Windows on the Road), and a few times its been the "I" bar for text. But as all else works fine now (even BETTER), I guess I can live with it.

Mike - remove the 7.52's and run the 6.47s, as you wont notice much (if any) performance hit, but you will notice a big improvement with compatability with most games, especially in D3D.

Regards

Greggy

True, the 6.47's worked pretty nice, but the 7.52's make MW4 nice and smooth. Also HL is working in OGL, so I can live with a tiny mouse pointer in EQ only.

Hey, what you should do is download NvMax, it will let you turn off the vsync in OGL and D3d, and that should clear up your problem. I had the same problem, but it worked like a charm. plus put the framerates much higher, as they are not restricted by the monitor refresh rate.

jeff