Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
IceDiesel

Drivers for VIA Rhine

I seem to have a big problem here. I need to connect to the internet but the Kernel does not seem to recognize my NIC card so I am stuck. Its is a VIA Rhine Integrated into the MB. HP doesn't support Linux to send me drivers, and VIA Tuch just won't talk to me. Can anything help me? ?

Hello;

The via-rhine driver should be iin the kernel, just not enabled. I have one of these in my Soyo motherboard. It depends on the version of the kernel that you are running and what distro that you are using. Could you tell us what Linux distro you are running?

The other issue may be whether the nic card was set up when you installed Linux.

You can try typing modprobe via-rhine as root user at a console and see if you get any error messages, or if the command prompt returns with no errors (this should mean that the driver was loaded).

If not, you can re-compile the kernel, or update the kernel with this support. All the recent kernels have this driver available, but it may need to be activated with a kernel recompile.