Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Zamarocy

Mechwarrior 4 pausing a lot, sound probs in Everquest

When I try to play Mechwarrior 4 (and it is MS's own game too!), no matter how low I set the detail, it pauses a lot! This makes it hell to complete missions as you can berly aim at the enemy. Any ideas?

Also, I have a lot of loss of sound in Everquest. Any ideas on that one as well???

PIII 933

256 RAM

Intel D815EEA mobo (9p BIOS)

Intel ATA 100/drivers loaded

Maxtor 40 GIG ATA/100 HD

SB Live! with latest CL W2K drivers

Yeah, I am having trouble with Mechwarrior 4 too. Except that I don't get far into the game as you do. I get black screen as the game was loading. Then when I check Task Manager to check, it says the game is not responding and I had to kill it.

My system:

P3-933 w/ Abit SA6R MB (Intel 815E chipset)

393mb PC-133 RAM

Creative labs Geforce2

Sound Blaster Live!

IBM 30 GB UATA-100

Mechwarrior 4 needs a big paging file.

Go to Control Panel, System, System Properties, Advanced, Performance Options, Virtual Memory, Change tab and choose minimum of at least 200 and maximum of at most 500.

Over 500, the computer also goes through a lot of slowdowns.

Detonator 3 drivers release 6.47 or 6.62 should help, with DirectX 8. Other Microsoft games (Starlancer) were unplayable before the advent of directX 8.

PIII 700 at 933 Mhz

256 Ram 133 Mhz

Asus Cubx

Cmd Ata 66 controller

Maxtor 26 Gig, 7200 Ata 66

CL Geforce Annihilator 2

Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

(previously SBLive Value)

The SB Live was a big problem; bad drivers;

try moving it to another motherboard slot and avoid Irq sharing.

A question on the 6.62 WHQL drivers - I am using the 7.17 "leaked" drivers as they are DX8 specific drivers. Do the official WHQL 6.62 drivers also work with DX8???

6.62 drivers received WQHL certification so they work well with DirectX 8 but without any optimized code.

Wolf, I set my paging file at Minimum: 800mb and Maximum: 1000 mb. So are you saying that this is too big? I thought bigger is better. hehehe...

1.5 times physical memory is the norm for Windows 2000. The simplest way to avoid paging file fragmentation is to fix minimum and maximum at the same size. Fragmentation is no problem with regular use of Diskeeper.

With 256 Megs Ram, paging file performance should be best at 384. I increased Ram to 512 Megs and adjusted paging file to 800.

In practice, I found that paging file adjustment solved the slowdowns in MW4.