Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rilot

Unreal Tourney won't start under Win2kpro

Hi peeps

I have the Unreal Tournament G.O.T.Y. edition and I cannot get it to start up under Win2k PRO (all compatability updates installed, DX7.0a). When I run the game it starts to load and then bombs out with the error:-

"Ran out of virtual memory, Please free up some space on your primary hard drive." (Or words to that effect).

I have 6GB free on my C drive (not set to dynamic drive), the windows page file resides on this drive and is set to minimum 512MB, maximum 1024MB. I have tried increacing this to 2048MB but it still bombs. I very much doubt that the program is really running out of page file because I can't think of many apps that would require more than 1GB of page file, especially as I have 512MB RAM in my system.

I have run a real time memory monitor on my system to try to see what is happening. The results show that upon loadup, UT fills main RAM then bombs before it pages any processes to hard disk.

My system is fully defragged and error checked and I am running the latest official release drivers from Nvidia.

This cannot be a gfx or sound issue though because it wont even start the game in UTs safe mode (No 3d acc, sound or other stuff).

I've tried moving my ram around to different slots and also tried substituting the modules with some from another system.

I've tried reinstalling windows (format and clean install) and only installing my necessary drivers and UT but it still is having none of it.

I've tried setting UT to run at different cpu prioritys with no effect.

I've been running Win2k for over 2 years now (from beta3) but have never had as much trouble with any other app.

I tried the tech support helpline and they claimed that is was because i had TOO MUCH ram!!!! Silly people.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sys specs:

P3 850

Abit VT6X4 (latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers)

Nvidia GeForce SDR (latest official drivers)

SB Live (Liveware 3)

20GB HDD (non dynamic)

40GB HDD (non dynamic)

2 x 256MB PC133 DIMMS running at 100MHz

------------------

Arrrghhh my eyes, the goggles.... they do nothing.

I have an 'acquired' copy of UT with the latest patch applied to it, and it runs under my Win2k Pro setup perfectly happily.

It's possible that it just doesn't like another program that you have in memory. Have you tried stopping various services and unloading any programs that run on Startup? Tried killing your anti-virus software?

PIII 866EB FC-PGA

Intel D815EEA Motherboard

Intel® PRO/100 Integrated NIC (for LAN)

3Com 3C905 10/100 NIC (for Cable Modem)

Motorola Surfboard 3100 Cable Modem

2x256MB PC 100 RAM

Maxtor 92049U6 20.4GB 7200RPM UDMA66

Maxtor 52049U4 20.4GB 7200RPM UDMA66

Hercules 3D Prophet II Ultra 64MB

AOpen 52x IDE CD-ROM

Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD-RW

Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer USB

Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro

US Robotics Sportster Flash v90 External modem

Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17

Adaptec 2940 Ultra Wide SCSI controller

Sound Blaster Live! Value (LiveWare 3)

Windows 2000 Professional (SP1 + all updates)

I know it's not much consolation, but it should run flawlessly on your machine.

[This message has been edited by Bursar (edited 11 January 2001).]

I seem to remember reading somewhere that UT doesn't like swapfiles over the size of 256mb, especially when 256mb of ram or more is in the system. I'm not sure but it's definitely worth a try. Decrease your pagefile size to 128 or something like that.

Yeah that might me true. I didn't have a problem with UT at all, but NFS - Porsche Unleashed didn't work properly after I set the pagefile min to ~ 500 MB ... try it. I think it should work winklaugh

------------------

4C69 7665 204C 6F6E 6720

416E 6420 5072 6F73 7065

7220 2D20 4A65 6E73 2053

2E20 4461 686D 656E

"What doesn't exist we must sometimes dream -

and let our dreams inspire us to greater heights ..."

My home page:

JD Interactive STAR TREK Site

I have just tried what you suggested and reduced the page file to min 256 max 384 but I still get the same error.

This has really got me stumped.

Thx for your suggestions.

I would have been surprised if that had worked. With 512MB physical RAM, my swap file is between 768MB and 1024MB and it runs fine.

It's more likely to be something to do with the VIA drivers, or some other hardware driver.

UT runs great with me, i got the via apollo shipset 133fsb(asus p3v4x) and even without the drivers updated, and even with, UT runs fine, never had any probs with it at all frown as well i got 384mb pc133 adn 2.2g of VM, hope u get it figured out

------------------

========Specs========

ASUS P3V4X

VARIOUS O/C SETTINGS

PIII 533 @ 640 133fsb

PIII 533 @ 584 150fsb

384mb PC133

20gIBM 7200 rpm

40g MAxtor 7200rpm

Sound Blaster LIVE!!! Platinum

ATI All-In-Wonder 128 32mb 2x Agp

19'Samsung SyncMaster 950p

Logitech Wireless keyboard/Mouse

Creative 52x cdrom

Richo CD-R/RW MP7040a 4/4/32

Epson Stylus colour 760

Cable modem

and i networked with a MAC G6, now sharing printer/hardrives and internet.

WOW, aren't i special now laugh

AND iT ALL WORKS GRRRREAT!!!'

Run it in OpenGL mode with DirectX 8.

If you fear losing compatibility for previoux games by relinquishing DirectX 7, check the uninstallers first.

Install the detailed compressed textures made for Metal and run UT both in very high resolution & at great speed with the special driver found here:

http://www.lokigames.com/~vogel/UT/