Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
psklenar

How to config n/w for AOEII over Internet?

I hope someone can give me some guidance here. I tried to do an "across the internet" game of Age of Empires II: The Conquerers with a friend (he was on W98) this afternoon. I have a D-Link DI-704 router (aka: Broadband Gateway) between my PC and the cable modem. I did a search of the MS Knowledge base and determined that I needed to configure the DI-704's firewall to allow traffic on port 47624 to initialize the game and ports 2300 - 2400 during the game. I did so. However, my friend and I were never able to get the game to work. I know the "problem" was on my side since other friends were able to connect to him.

Does anyone know whether AOEII requires any additional ports, beyond those mentioned in the MS KB, opened up under W2K? Any suggestions as to what I might look at in attempting to diagnose and resolve this problem?

I'm going to post a link to this posting in the Network section as well, just incase someone over there might be able to help.

Thanks,

------------------

pat----

home: psklenar@email.com

work: psklenar@uhc.com

So you did forward those ports to your PC (the one that you game on)?

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by clutch:
So you did forward those ports to your PC (the one that you game on)?</font>

The D-Link DI-704 doesn't seem to offer that option ... at least not obviously. HEnce I kind of assumed (I know, dangerous word smile ) that any/all PC's inside the firewall would see the port requests come through (or be able to get out themselves). Hmmmm ... Maybe I'll give D-Link Tech Support a call tomorrow ...

Anyhow, thanks,

------------------
pat----

home: psklenar@email.com
work: psklenar@uhc.com

Psklenar, I got the same D-Link 704 Router/Switch as you do. And also have problem with it in Counter-Strike (when I Update the servers lists to play internet games, my computer would lose internet connection and then I have to restart the computer). I found out that it was because of built-in hardware firewall. I was able to fix this problem by putting my computer's in DMZ (Demilitarized Zone). Now, I don't have any problems with Counter-Strike. May be you should try this method. If you don't know how, look at your D-Link manual. I believe you open internet browser and type in your router's ip address and type in the password. Then I think it is under Advanced section. Also, when you put your computer in DMZ list, that computer will not get firewall protection. I don't really have anything important on my computer so I don't really care about having firewall protection. FYI: I believe D-Link tech support sucks.