Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
John Sheffield

UT problems in Win2K

The folks over at the PlanetUnreal forums suggested I throw this issue over to you ...

I just moved on to a 2k system after playing UT without any problems in NT and 98. After installing all the latest video (GeForce II), mouse (Mouseman wheel) and UT (4.36) bits, I started it up and found lots of irritating bugs that reinstalling and rebooting hasn't cleared up.

First, my config doesn't save between sessions (perhaps not even between maps; the "autoswitch weapons" flag defaults back to "on" when I load a new map, at least). I do have write access for the .ini files. Second, the wheel in my mouse doesn't work. It can be clicked as a MMB but UT doesn't register turning the wheel at all. Finally, weapons are behaving strangely in general. At first I only noticed that the rocket launcher was prematurely discharging rockets that I was trying to load up and ***umed 4.36 had some kind of anti-spamming feature that wasn't working too well yet ... but it's inconsistent and I've seen it happen on most of the weapons, e.g. holding down the fire button for the ripper shoots a few blades then just stops, and you have to release and re-click to keep firing.

Is this a known UT-2K ordeal? I didn't see anything on the tech page about it. Anyone else experience some or all of this?

System specs would help espcially CPU, mobo and Soundcard.

I haven't experienced your problems but some generic suggestions.

1. Install Service Pack 1, that usually clears up a lot of problems

2. I am using the 6.47 drivers

3. Have you installed the latest drivers for you Mouseman?

4. Install the W2K Compatibility updates

5. Install DirectX 8 (if other suggestions don't work)

[ December 31, 2000: Message edited by: Spaceman ]

I'd probably first try uninstalling and reinstalling UT in win2k. Also, I get a lot of general UT weirdness when I tried to run the 6.47 driver set from nvidia, but a lot of other people swear by it. I only got it running properly with the 6.36 set, even though it is slightly slower than the newer releases. As for the mouse wheel, are you sure you're using directinput for your mouse? there's an option for that either on the in-game config menu or the advanced menu, I don't remember which. Without directinput, the scroll wheel won't work a bit. Good luck to ya!

The mouse problems are probably due to your Logitech mouse drivers. They don't work well in some games. My Micro$oft (yuck) Intellimouse works fine with UT under Win2K.

Try flipping DirectInput on (or off, depending how it's set currently) and see if that helps.

I'm running a logitech wheelmouse, and the drivers work fine. One note is that logitech has a file on their drivers site that corrects the functioning of the wheel in certain games (Quake 3, for instance) that must be run before the wheel will function properly. UT never had a problem with the mouse for me, however, as long as I was running directinput.