Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mad2moons

new to linux

Hi,

Just bought suse linux pro 7.2 but am having probs installing it. YaST2 has succesfully installed everything but it gets stuck on define what model monitor you have. I'm installing it on a samsung laptop and dont know which1 to choose. I've tried so many but am slowly giving up frown

I've emailed samsung to ask them but no reply. I only seem to get autoresponders from suse. My laptop specs are as follows:

Samsung VM8000 Series

Celeron 766

10gb HDD

256mb sodimm 100

24x cd rom

floppy

3 usb

10/100 lan

56k modem

SIS sound/video

Thanks for any replies

Can you try using a generic 1024x768 display setting for it? My Radius monitor wouldn't get picked up either on my main system, so I had to define the timings manually (no biggie, I have the manual) after I installed my nvidia drivers for my GF4. During a Red Hat install, you can pick out the monitor manually if you like, or leave it at the probed settings (mine showed up as "unprobed monitor"). I just picked a generic 1024x768 monitor and it worked fine until I could get the drivers setup after reboot.

no, ive tried the generic drivers for vesa and lcd but to no avail frown it states that you should press test and see an image, if you dont see the image, press escape straight away or it could harm your hardware, doh

Your first mistake was to buy 7.2 when 8.1 is now out...as a rule of thumb, newer releases have more hardware support and integrate a lot of new apps out of the box, whereas with an older version you would have to dig for RPMs or Tarballs...not to mention the experiences with "make" and such...