whoisurdaddy

NFS 5: Porche Unleashed Multiplayer Problem

Here is my sys spec:

P3-750 w/ AsusP3V4X

192mb PC-100

SB Live! X-Gamer

Creative Annihilator2

Windows 2000 Server

I am using Detonator 3 6.18 (I have tried all the other version but this one is the most stable for me) and I have applied all the patches released by Microsoft for Win2k.

My problem with NFS 5 is that it plays perfectly fine in single player mode. In Multiplayer game (LAN), it doesn't work. The game would count down "3" "2" "1" and then I would get kick back to desktop and I get this message box "Invalid Object Shape" or something similar to that. Anyone else having this problem or know to fix this problem? Please post it here or e-mail me @:

zouk@onebox.com

You have to activate File-Sharing for your Network-connection

Had the same problem with w2k

File Sharing and Printing is on though. I saw on this messageboard by someone else saying reinstall the Network driver and I did. It didn't help either. Any other suggestion?

Unfortunately my group of Win 2000 users cannot play NFS5 networked because of the same issue you experience. Nothing I've tried has helped, including the latest patch for NFS5.

In-fact the error occurs even if a single Win2000 PC hosts a network game and then starts the round!

Anyone?

I have same problem (well my dad does), but ... I have dug a little deeper and ...

I know when "excactly" the game casues this (not why obviously) after some exprimenting.

I notice some of you say that after the 3,2,1 it crashes .. well .. here's the thing.

My computer (Win2k) does run NFS5 no probs (without deleting gimme.dll) and NEVER crashes, but my ol mans does. It did the above crashing a few times .., and my dad mentioned it did this when he planted his foot on the accelerator on the start line ..

hmmm .. I got thinking ....

It was not that the acceleration was causing it ... it was because he got his nose slightly in front of mine ... soooo .. to test this theory, I drove my car a few metres whilst he stayed stationary .. then he planted it ... the game did not crash until the second he overtook my car.

?????

Very strange indeed .. I tried the above theory several times without fail (er .. with fail). Now, the only dif I could work out between his setup and mine is his gimme.dll had to be deleted for NFS5 to run, mine did not ... his crashes .. mine does not.

(hardware wise, identical basically, except I have GeForce 2 GTS .. he has GeForce 2 Ultra)

confused

God I hope someone works out a fix ...

OriginalShadow

I should have mentioned also ..., that we had quite a few complete races without a hitch. Due to the fact he did not get his car in front of mine during the whole race .. I always kick arse .. :P

It was only when he got his nose slightly in front on the start that it started to happen .. confused

OriginalShadow

Don't know if this has anything to do with this thread.

Well, the single player modus runs fine. But I can't choose the LAN option in the multiplayer mode. It's simple not highlighted.

File sharing is activated!?!

...hmm?

Quote:

Very strange indeed .. I tried the above theory several times without fail (er .. with fail). Now, the only dif I could work out between his setup and mine is his gimme.dll had to be deleted for NFS5 to run, mine did not ... his crashes .. mine does not.
Deleting gimme.dll is what causes the problems with multiplayer (and other things too, like missing pictures in your profile). However, you can make it work without deleting that file! If you haven't already, download the Application COmpatibility Toolkit (ACT). Run QFixApp, and select the porsche.exe file. Now use the clear button to uncheck all the fixes, and then select EmulateHeap. Now the game will work perfectly!

To make these changes permanent, click the button to make an sdb file. Then go to C:\Winnt\AppPatch (or wherever windows is installed) and double-click your sdb file to install it on your computer. If you want, you can save that file and use it on other computers as well.

Oops, I didn't realize until after I hit submit that this thread is over 18 months old! But the fix I stated above is still relevent.

As to your problems, t}{echo, make sure first that you didn't delete gimme.dll. If you did, then reinstall NFS and follow my instructions above. Also, do you have all of the necessary protocols installed? It's been a while since I played, but I think LAN play requires IPX. But I think you can also choose internet or tcp/ip and just enter a local IP address for the server.

Quote:

Thanks for the qick response. IPX was the magic word. I could fix it now!