Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PsychoSword

Total Annihilation Under Windows 2K

TA doesn't seem to like Direct X 8.0 for some reason. I can can music from the CD, but I cannot get unit sounds in the game. Yes, I've checked my setting many many times. I read in this forum from someone who said the compatibility program on the Windows 2000 CD would fool the program into thinking it was using a diff version of DX, but I didn't see an option for that. I did try to make it think it was runniing under WIndows 95, but it gave me some ****ed up error like, "could not initialize program xx00x00x" or some ****. HELP

Don't know why your having problems, it runs great for me......hmmmm what sound card are you using?

Damn I hope not because Cavedog is gone and I don't want to buy a new soundcard after having this one for 3 months only.

I had this problem once before and found the fix to be turning down the hardware acceleration to BASIC in Sounds & MM settings > Audio > Advanced > Performance section in the control panel. Strange but since getting SB LIVE! Platinum 5.1 I did not have to do this but on previous SB LIVE! I found it necessary. Give it a try as it may helped and I really noticed no difference in the sounds so I left it that way all the time, of course others may notice a diff that I did not.

Frank...

That helped, though I had to turn the acceleration all the way down to get it to work. Strangely my in game CD music volume will not go down. It will only play at full blast. The unit sounds are now adjustable as well. I can make explosions quiet or loud as I want them, though I need to turn them all the way up to even begin to hear it over the blasting music.