Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SHaRKeY2k

Half Life + Win2k = Black Screen

right i have a problem with half life and i've been through the search function and couldn't find a anwser for my problem.

I installed the game and also the latest patch, when i play in direct3d the game plays (very fast time wise by the way) but the console "~" is not available and if I hit esc I get no menu but a black screen. If I try opengl I either get a white screen after starting a new game or it locks up at loading.

i can't figure out what to do and it's really starting to wind me up. i know some peope just say hit the f-key for quick save but this doesn't really help when i want to play c-strike online. please help me.

What are your system spec? What vid card do you have and what version drivers are you using? Did you install SP1? Do you have DX8 installed?

I get the same problem when I hit the ESC key. What I do is I hit F10. Can't say I've tried Open GL because I like how Glide looks better. I don't get the console in single player mode Half Life, but I can get it in Team Fortress Classic and Counterstrike when I'm playing online. I don't play HL online so I dunno if I can get the console there. I can't remember, are you supposed to get the console in single player mode?

my spec is this

Geforce Annihaltor DDR

256 MB Ram

Duron 700

MSi K7t Pro board

SBlive

DX8

Geforce 7.17 Drivers

------------------

Stick this line after your shortcut >

- console

e.g.

C:\Sierra\Halflife\HL.exe - console

that will enable console.

There is the answer get rid of those 7.17 drivers immediately go back to 6.47 or 6.31 immediately, I can't say immediately enough. Those drivers are buggy as hell and most games crash or don't work well with them.

I have also heard that if you use openGL instead of D3D then this will solve the problem. I know that it healped me out in Gunman Chronicles a game based on the Half Life engine.