Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tristan777

Unreal Tournament freezing in win2k

well whenever i run UT for more than a minute or so, it freezes. i can still hear the sound, and the music playing and stuff but the video freezes. at first i thought my video card was getting too hot so i unoverclocked it and even tried taking it out of AGP 4x mode, and it still freezes. but i can run Quake 3 or half-life for hours, and neither will freeze. so i dont think it is a cooling problem. i have the latest patch for UT, and i am using the Detonator 5.32 drivers as they gave the best performance and stability for my card.

here's my specs:

T-bird 800 on Asus A7V(VIA KT133 chipset) latest bios flash

128 megs PC-100 memory

TNT2Ultra w/ Det 5.32

SB Live! value

Lucent 56k winmodem

Netgear 10/100 nic

13 gig WD HDD(UDMA33 7.2 gig win2k partition, the rest win98)

thanks,

-tristan.

hmm i have heard the latest UT patch has some problems but i mightve heard wrong. Try doing a clean install then using varias patches to see if they all freeze up and if they do then try running in a different mode. Also check out the UT tweak guide at http://www.tweak3d.com

What mode were you running in OpenGL or D3D you didnt say.

well i am able to play for about a minute or so like i said in D3D, but whenever i try to run it in OpenGL it just hangs at the intro.

do you know if the older patches are compatible on servers running the latest version? because i know some games require you to have the same version, but some will run any.

i'll look at the guide...

yea, that gave me a bsod on start up last time i tried it. i had to go back to last good config to get it working ok again.

Sounds like you haven't fixed the Nvidia/KT133 problem on your system yet. That's what's causing your crashing - no doubt. Here's the fix:

1) First download the 6.31 Nvidia drivers , the VIA 4-in-1 patch, and the Win2k/Athlon patch

2) Go into your BIOS and load the BIOS defaults.

3) make sure AGP Fast Writes is "Disabled" and change performance setting to "Normal" instead of "Optimal

4) Go to the Boot section and set everything to yes and enabled (except for the ATA100 controller if you're not using it)

5) Get into Windows and uninstall The video drivers in Add/Remove Programs and reboot

6) Install the Via 4 in 1 patch and reboot

7) Install the Nvidia 6.31 certified drivers.

9) Install the Win2k/Athlon patch and reboot.

That's it. If it still locks up then it is your sb live card - try a different sound card.

Operating System: Windows 2000 Pro sp1 (running fully PNP w/ ACPI)

Processor: AMD K7 T-Bird 800 w/ 256 Megs PC133

Motherboard: Asus K7a (1004c BIOS) w/ the newest Via 4 in 1, Promise 100 drivers b25

Hard Drive: Maxtor 1536H2 on the Promise 100

Video: Asus 6600 SGRAM w/ Asus sba bios (AGP Geforce 256,32meg - Nvidia drivers v6.31 - certified)

Sound: SB 128 PCI (1373 chip w/ 5.12.01.4035 WDM drivers - certified)

Modem: USR 56K PCI

Network: NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (PCI 10/100 card)

SCSI: PCI Advansys SCSI Host Adapter

CD Burner: Smart&Friendly 4x SCSI

Printer: Epson Stylus 740 (USB)

Scanner: UMAX Astra 1220U (USB)

Misc: Creative PC-DVD 5X drive, USB Intellimouse Optical w/ intellipoint 3.2 (ver. 3.20.0.484), Gravis Xterminator gamepad with 4.2.0.2 driver

DirectX: 8.0 RC0 (4.08.00.0183)

[This message has been edited by JediBaron (edited 20 October 2000).]

u can play ANY version of UT on ANY server regardless of what version u have.

btw i don't think trying to tweak the game could fix the problem, could make it worse though

------------------

2 Computers (networked)both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Fujitsu 17.3 GB Ultra DMA 66/10.2 GB Ultra DMA 66

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Creative Vibra PCI 128bit

Matrox Millenium G400 16Mb AGP/Diamond Speedstar 8Mb AGP

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case

120W Multimedia

MS INternet KB (PS2)

MS Win2000 Pro

Jedi- i installed all that stuff like you said, in the order you said, but i still get a blue screen on startup after i install that Athlon/Win2k patch... frown

Quote:
Originally posted by tristan777:
Jedi- i installed all that stuff like you said, in the order you said, but i still get a blue screen on startup after i install that Athlon/Win2k patch... frown

You wouldn't happen to be running PowerStrip, would you? PowerStrip causes BSODs after the AGP fix is installed. You'll need to uninstall or disable it before you run the AGP fix.

Could you tell us exactly what the BSOD error says? Maybe someone here could help you with that . . .

hehehe... yes i am runnin powerstrip... lemme try getting rid of it....

ok, i got rid of powerstrip, but i am still getting the error. here is exactly what it says:

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8149830, 0x00000000, 0x804A1D90, 0x00000002) PAGE_FALT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

***Address 804A1D90 base at 80400000, Datastamp 384d9b17- ntoskrnl.exe

that's about it. thanks.

also, i found out that when i added a key to the registry, i was able to run UT in OpenGL now. (it works with 5.30, havent tried it with 5.32, or any Det. 3 drivers.) it runs a bit slower than D3D did, but it doesnt freeze. smile i was also having D3D problems in half-life and Diablo2, so i'm thinking that it might be a direct3d problem, eh? all my other games run fine in OpenGL(Half-life, Homeworld, Quake3, UT, Tribes). and Diablo2 runs fine in software mode, but it ran unbelievable slow in D3D. in HL i couldnt get back to the menus in D3D. and i have graphics problems with home-world in D3D.

thanks again.

-tristan

[This message has been edited by tristan777 (edited 21 October 2000).]

If you installed everything, but are getting an error in your kernal then your probably screwed. Something that you undoubtably messed with in the past has messed up your system bad. Think of anything you've tried to install and remove it all. Remove all video, sound, and agp drivers. Uninstall any video helper programs. Remove any registry tweeks. Then try the steps that I outlined above.

If your still getting that bsod, your only fix may be to reinstall win2k. frown But this time just install the 4in1, Nvidia 6.31, and Win2k/Athlon fix before trying anything else.

sigh... well i suposed i could just wait till i get a new hard drive i guess.... only thing i have installed is powerstrip(which i dont have installed anymore) and NVMax.... but i have had this problem since before i installed NVMax.... i guess i could go look for the enable via4x key in the bios and get rid of it, other than that i don't really know what to do. except not run any games in direct 3d mode...

Quote:
Originally posted by tristan777:
hehehe... yes i am runnin powerstrip... lemme try getting rid of it....

ok, i got rid of powerstrip, but i am still getting the error. here is exactly what it says:

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8149830, 0x00000000, 0x804A1D90, 0x00000002) PAGE_FALT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

***Address 804A1D90 base at 80400000, Datastamp 384d9b17- ntoskrnl.exe

that's about it. thanks.

also, i found out that when i added a key to the registry, i was able to run UT in OpenGL now. (it works with 5.30, havent tried it with 5.32, or any Det. 3 drivers.) it runs a bit slower than D3D did, but it doesnt freeze. smile i was also having D3D problems in half-life and Diablo2, so i'm thinking that it might be a direct3d problem, eh? all my other games run fine in OpenGL(Half-life, Homeworld, Quake3, UT, Tribes). and Diablo2 runs fine in software mode, but it ran unbelievable slow in D3D. in HL i couldnt get back to the menus in D3D. and i have graphics problems with home-world in D3D.

thanks again.

-tristan

Hmm . . . that error is IIRC exactly what you get when Powerstrip is throwing fits over the AGP fix. I don't want to sound condescending, but are you absolutely sure that you got rid of all of it? Removing it from Startup probably won't help since it runs a driver at boot-up.

Try booting up in safe mode or in the repair console and renaming WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\PSTRIP.SYS to something else if it's still there.

I don't think it's a kernel problem, BTW -- programs can call kernel functions on areas of memory they're not supposed to, and then when stuff blows up the kernel sometimes gets blamed.

Maybe another program that runs at start-up . . . list please?

As far as the low performance in D3D goes, it could be a number of things. DirectX may be screwed up (seems unlikely since W2K is supposed to repair those things). Bad drivers, possibly. More likely, AGP isn't enabled. Try running DXDIAG and checking the Display tab to see if any DirectX features are disabled. They shouldn't be.

doh. well in NVMax i noticed that the "Athlon+Win2k fix" was checked. so do u think that was why it crashed whenever it tried to reboot after i installed it because it was already there? hmmm...

ok, here's what runs at startup:

Getright, NVMax, RealPlayer, sound blaster Live!ware 3 crap, Desksweeper, wallpaper picker.

desksweeper is a program that gets rid of icons, and wallpaper picker is a program that will randomize your wallpaper periodicly out of a directory that you give it. i don't think either are to blame, since i just installed them a few days ago, and i have had this problem for quite some time, since i got my athlon.

ok i checked dxdiag, and all 3 settings are enabled, agp, directdraw and D3D.

i uninstalled powerstrip and i checked the winnt/system32/drivers directory and that file isn't there. i have show hidden files enabled, unless it is only visible in safe mode or something.

my performance isnt exactly low in D3D, it just has problems in about every app. in UT it freezes at a random point in the game after about a minute or so. in half-life i can't get back to the menus after i begin playing a game.(i hit Esc and the game stops but it doesnt show the menu. it doesnt freeze because i can hit Alt+F4 and enter and it will eventually let me out of half-life or i can close it from the Task Manager. in homeworld the menus flicker like crazy and the game crashes back to the desk top at a random point after about a minute or so.

all these problems are so different. i found it really strange.

Well, aside from NVMax (which I've never used) there's no suspect programs there. Aside from disabling that (then reinstalling your video drivers to get the default settings back) there's not much I can recommend. Odd indeed.

alright. i'll try it. i really like that program though. smile it's great for nvidia cards. lets u change about everything.... smile

Originally posted by JediBaron:

Sounds like you haven't fixed the Nvidia/KT133 problem on your system yet. That's what's causing your crashing - no doubt. Here's the fix:

1) First download the 6.31 Nvidia drivers , the VIA 4-in-1 patch, and the Win2k/Athlon patch

2) Go into your BIOS and load the BIOS defaults.

3) make sure AGP Fast Writes is "Disabled" and change performance setting to "Normal" instead of "Optimal

4) Go to the Boot section and set everything to yes and enabled (except for the ATA100 controller if you're not using it)

5) Get into Windows and uninstall The video drivers in Add/Remove Programs and reboot

6) Install the Via 4 in 1 patch and reboot

7) Install the Nvidia 6.31 certified drivers.

9) Install the Win2k/Athlon patch and reboot.

That's it. If it still locks up then it is your sb live card - try a different sound card.

Operating System: Windows 2000 Pro sp1 (running fully PNP w/ ACPI)

Processor: AMD K7 T-Bird 800 w/ 256 Megs PC133

Motherboard: Asus K7a (1004c BIOS) w/ the newest Via 4 in 1, Promise 100 drivers b25

Hard Drive: Maxtor 1536H2 on the Promise 100

Video: Asus 6600 SGRAM w/ Asus sba bios (AGP Geforce 256,32meg - Nvidia drivers v6.31 - certified)

Sound: SB 128 PCI (1373 chip w/ 5.12.01.4035 WDM drivers - certified)

Modem: USR 56K PCI

Network: NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (PCI 10/100 card)

SCSI: PCI Advansys SCSI Host Adapter

CD Burner: Smart&Friendly 4x SCSI

Printer: Epson Stylus 740 (USB)

Scanner: UMAX Astra 1220U (USB)

Misc: Creative PC-DVD 5X drive, USB Intellimouse Optical w/ intellipoint 3.2 (ver. 3.20.0.484), Gravis Xterminator gamepad with 4.2.0.2 driver

DirectX: 8.0 RC0 (4.08.00.0183)

[This message has been edited by JediBaron (edited 20 October 2000).][/QUOT

----------------------------------

Jedi,

I need your help!

I just bought a new system w/Win2K installed.

The system has:

**Athlon T-Bird 1000MHz Cpu

**Asus A7V 133MHz Mboard

**256 MB PC133 Ram

**Pioneer 115 16x40 DVD

**30GB Maxtor HDD

**eVGA GeForce2 MX 32MB

**SB Live Value

Everytime I play Quake2, the screen freezes and I physically have to push reset button to get out.

I have read the instruction on how to install both Win98 and Win2K in one system. The only thing that bothers me with the recommendation they have is that you need to install in the order of Win98 and Win2K. Does anybody know how to install Win98 to the existing Win2K system without any headaches? I also thought about getting a Partition Magic 6.0 to do the work for me. Any idea? Please help.

Brian

bhoon28@hotmail.com

UT Would freeze up on me occasionally while playing, It seemed to be a hard lock, with the last few sounds looping endlessly. No power button, either kill the power or press reset. I found that through patience (apparently that's a virtue in some circles) that if I waited for about 15-45 seconds (BTW, those are LONG seconds while you are running away from a horde of blue team players with their flag)after waiting it would return and all would be fine. This happened with these setups:

P3-750, Celery 450 (OC'd 300a)

Geforce2 GTS, TNT2 Ultra, with several driver versions 3.xx-6.xx

Win2K, with & w/o sp1, &/or current AGP drivers, DX7

Asus P3V4X, all bios' up to 1005

It was/is a strange problem, but I'm still looking for a fix

~NT Worker

NT_Worker, you wouldn't be running an SB Live with EAX enabled would you? I had that problem whenever I tried to run EAX on UT. I haven't tried it with DX8, but I doubt it will be any different...Creative's drivers just seem to be horribly broken on Win2k with EAX.