Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
boladmin

SSH & Mandrake 8.2

Hi,

I'm new to the Linux world and thus far I'm loving it! But I can't SSH nor telnet into my Linux box remotely! Is there something that I have improperly configured somewhere?? If so...what can I do to enable SSH?? Thanks!

Do you have the ssh deamon running? Check (as root)

service sshd status

If not, you can start it manually with

service sshd start

Or you can use the service editor in the Mandrake Control Center.

Quote:
Do you have the ssh deamon running? Check (as root)

service sshd status

If not, you can start it manually with

service sshd start

Or you can use the service editor in the Mandrake Control Center.

Hey thanks. But when I run those commands i get the error:

Cannot find sshd service

Sounds like you need to install openssh server. I would go ahead and install openssh client to if it is not installed. Go to Mdk control center/install software and search "openssh" If it is not installed, install both and try "ssh-ing" again.

Are you using a router? Also check that ssh port is open. I think it's 22. Not sure about telnet port. smile

(amend) open port 22 on router if you are trying to connect to it from outside a network. If you are inside a network, I don't you will need to open it, but I'm not completely sure on that.

Sound like the SSH Server is'nt installed. Slap The Mandrake CD's in and do a ps | grep ssh . On one of the CD's there is an sshdserver or something like that, run rpm -i *sshdserver* . Once that's installed run service sshd status . If it's not runnig do service sshd start and then try and connect to your box via ssh.