Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TCtheOG

Can Some One Please Help with My Sound

Hi everybody I jus now got linux 9.1 mandrake yesterday i got it all installed and everything but i was trying to set my audio card which is an onboard via 8223 (AC'97) and it says that My sound wont work and i should run artswapper or sumthing and i have no idea how to do that or what that is can somebody please help me also how do i view whats in my cdrom drives? I would appreciate all the help... thx

-Tyesen-

What is the exact error message that "it" gives you. If you're booting into KDE and you don't have the sound daemon (artsd) going, you may not hear any sound events. I've got one of those on-board chips, and as I recall Alsa (sound drivers used by Mandrake) supports it. I believe Mandrake 9.1 autoloads the proper drivers and auto configures everything. If you want KDE sound events, you may want to go into KDE's control center and enable artsd.

Your CD drive should "supermount" in Mandrake 9.1. Personally, I think supermount is sort of worthless, but lots of people swear by it. When you put your disk in the drive, Mandrake should automatically mount it (just like in Windows) and all you have to do is double-click on the disk icon on your KDE desktop. The contents will open in Konqueror.

Without more specifics, this is all I can tell ya. Mandrake's website has a TON of documentation, though. And users have their own board, and they are pretty cool about answering newbie questions. www.mandrakeusers.org

--Akshun J

You have to be more exact, or else we won't have a f**ing clue what is happening on your

system. Okay, small steps now:

> but i was trying to set my audio card

How? Tell us exactly what you did.

> which is an onboard via 8223 (AC'97)

Ought to work, I think.

> and it says

who says?

> that My sound wont work and i should run artswapper or sumthing

Post the exact error message.

> also how do i view whats in my cdrom drives? I would appreciate all the help... thx

ls -alFh /mnt/cdrom/

I try about 4 or 5 different linux before I found one that would work. Now I'am using SuSE 9.0 all I had to do is put a cable from my cd writer to the motherboard. Works 100% now