Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kaiser

Midtown Madness 2 & Win2k

When trying to play this game under Win2k, the initial MS/Angel Studios logos come up, but the game kicks out to the desktop at the point where the loading screen that follows this gets to about 20%.

The game runs OK under Win98, but I'd rather try and get it running under Win2k.

I'm using the latest Nvidia Detonator 3 drivers (v6.31 - I think, I'm not at my computer now but its the ones on their site anyway).

Anyone else experiencied similar problems, and if so, do you know of a fix?

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

Kaiser

------------------

My System:

DELL Dimension XPS T550 (PIII 550Mhz)

320MB PC-100 SDRAM DIMM

CL 32MB GeForce DDR

CL SBLive! Value

9&12GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drives

Toshiba 6x DVD-ROM

Sony CRX-100E CD-RW

Trust 10/100 Ethernet PCI Card

Iomega 100MB Zip Drive (external parallel)

Win98/Win2k Pro Dual-Boot Configuration

[This message has been edited by Kaiser (edited 23 October 2000).]

I hate it when people say this, but its running fine on every win2k system on my home network.

2 comps using win2kpro and 1 with advanced server.

various video cards from diamond v770 ultra, rage fury, and asus 6800 ddr deluxe. same thing with sound cards, pci128, aureal 2500, yamaha POS, and montego II dell oem POS.

my highest driver version is det 3 6.18 on both NVidia cards and native drivers for rage fury.

I'm always using a no-cd .exe from gamecopyworld, just to avoid putting the cd in. Maybe try one out and get back to this post with your results.

The game should run fine on your system, my wife has a Dell XPS-T550 and those systems run most games in Win2k pretty good with a little upgrading now and then.

Thanks for the replies... :-)

MoreLight: I downloaded a no-cd file from one of the MM2 websites - again, it works fine under Win98 but unfortunately its still drops out to the desktop under Win2k (SP1 is installed - forgot to mention that before).

I tried letting the game redetect my video card but it either brings up a word document telling me the game didn't start correctly last time or gives the same result as before.

This is strange because I can get the original Midtown Madness to work - I have to turn off the pedestrians to avoid SEVERE graphics distortions but otherwise it runs fine.

Again, thanks for the suggestion...if you or anyone else can think of anything else to try I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kaiser

[This message has been edited by Kaiser (edited 23 October 2000).]

Damn, it would be nice to get you going with this game. It runs very nice in win2k and in network play. I've played for hours without problems.

Your memory: is it mixed or all the same type?

Your video drivers: when you installed the newer Det 3, did you completely uninstall all the old drivers, reboot back to PCI VGA card in device manager and then install the new drivers? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but it does make a difference, big time.

Do the memory and video checks first. Then uninstall MM2, including manually deleting any folders left over and any registry keys. Then reboot and re-install MM2. Use the no-cd crack to run the game, and hope to hell it works.

Its unfortunate you applied SP-1. I don't use it, but have heard a lot of horror stories. Maybe its nothing.

If this won't work, you may want to try DX8 beta. Contact me by email if interested. I'm using it on my Domain Controller, and all my games work just fine so far.

Good luck and hope this works.

Hi There, I have MM2 working on my W2K Server w/h SP1 applied without any problems(except for the performance due to H/W Limitation). So I don't think SP1 is the issue.

However, you mentioned that you have it working under W98. I'm just wondering, assuming that you have dual boot....are you running your MM2 from the same partition as the other OS? If so, try to avoid it. I know it is kinda wasting space...but try to install your MM2 in other partition instead of sharing it with 2 OS.

Also, have you tried to run MM2 without using the "no-cd" files?

Hope my 2 cents can help!

regards

Mugen C

------------------

Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do!

Thanks for the suggestions....I'll try to answer them in order:

1. Memory:

Mixed brands I'm afraid - I got the extra 128MB ad 64MB chips cheap but they've been in there for months now without a problem.

2. Video Drivers:

When installing the Detonator 3 drivers, I firstly completely uninstalled the old drivers, deleted any remaining files and and went back to VGA as you suggested (I had serious problems with the 5.xx drivers so I learned this one the hard way).

Since I installed the Detonator 3 drivers tho I've had no problems with otyher games/software (previously it would lock up completely).

3. The way my machine is setup, Win98 resides on the C: partition with Win2k on D:

Games and such live on the F: G: and H: partitions of my 2nd HD, but I'll try completely uninstalling (and deleting) the game this evening and install it again as you suggested and let you know.

Thanks again,

Kaiser

------------------

My System:

320MB PC-100 SDRAM DIMM

CL 32MB GeForce DDR

CL SBLive! Value

Toshiba 6x DVD-ROM

Sony CRX-100E CD-RW

Win98/Win2k Pro Dual-Boot Configuration

One other thing that may bear watching, although its just about 6am so this may be nonsense.

You seem to be running or trying to run the same game install from 2 different OS's. It may not make a difference, but when you reinstall MM2, don't run it from Win98 at all. Try to get it going and run it exclusively with win2k.

If you run it in Win98 first, it may be trying to use the last set of drivers, directX dll's, the dreaded mscvrt.dll and other crap it will find in Win98 from its history file, and of course its not going to find that junk when you try and play it in Win2k.

If you absolutely have to play in both, you can try installing the same game on separate partitions, one for each OS.

I just got an edgy feeling about this, because I use my server and DFS (distributed file system)links to a bunch of games on my network so I don't have to keep installing them on member computers local hard drives. Most of the time this works flawlessly, but occasionally MM2 will, not start, but instead redetect the video etc., and splash up that stupid word document. I close that, restart the game, but will have to reselect the game resolution, audio, control settings.

This isn't too bad, because all systems are Win2k. You on the other hand are mixing operating systems and it may be relevant.

OK...I uninstalled the game (and deleted any remaining references/files to it), then installed it clean under Win2K as suggested and...it worked!...great...until it froze on me after a while of playing.

Not the end of the world I thought...I rebooted the system and when I got back into Windows, fired it up again but now I'm right back where I started from - it'll load the MS/Angel movie, display the loading screen till it gets to 20%, then kick out to the desktop (no errors), or alternatively it brings up that (annoying after the 20th time) Word document telling me to update my drivers - which I would do if I wasn't afraid of having the same sort of probs I had with the 5.xx drivers again (I've confirmed that it is the 6.31 version of the Detonator 3 drivers that I'm using tho...I'm using these in Win98 too and the game is still working there - even after deleting and reinstalling it under win2k).

If anyone has any more ideas n where to go from here I'd appreciate it...thanks again for the help so far guys

Kaiser

------------------

My System:

320MB PC-100 SDRAM DIMM

CL 32MB GeForce DDR

CL SBLive! Value

Toshiba 6x DVD-ROM

Sony CRX-100E CD-RW

Win98/Win2k Pro (with SP1) Dual-Boot Configuration