Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
acidspray

Half-Life/Win2k/Voodoo3-2k/BP6/Dually's

To cover the basics:

The problem cropped up after a fresh install of Win2k with SP1 and all the updates.

I start get into hl (or cs), setup everything, set video (800x600, OGL, 3dfx mini) and try to start a game. Screen goes black, I cannot get back to Windows (at least in video, I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and select shutdown without seeing it...screen stays black but most of the time it will shutdown).

I am running at 960x720 in 32bit color. These settings DID NOT give me game problems before format and reinstall, thus it can run fine under these settings. No hardware changes since it was running fine either.

I have tried:

*reinstalling half-life numerous times

*up[censored] half-life to the latest version the same amount of times

*installing all 3dfx drivers from WHQL and thru the beta series

*tried the halflife.inf compatibility fix

*installing Wicked3D drivers

I was having this problem quite a while before the reinstall of Win2k, and to the best of my recollection some cryptic "leaked" 3dfx drivers worked (this was months ago). I am having some difficulty finding these drivers to test this hypothesis. There seems to be an interesting link from the 3dfx link on the ntcompatible sidebar, but it just takes me back to the main page.

HEEEEEEEEEELLLLPP! I am going thru serious CS withdrawals.

TIA,

-AciD

I don't know if this will help, but you sometimes get the black screen you are on about, when you set the refresh rate too high for your monitor. I would check that your monitor is specified correctly in the properties. If there is not a match for your monitor try the plug and play monitor.

Failing that, get hold of powerstrip, to help you set your monitor up.

Of course, I could be barking up the wrong tree so to speak ;(

Yak

--

True. And one thing I did leave out was my refresh rate in original post. It is 85Hz, and I must stress, the game was working at these exact settings before the reinstall of windows.

I know my system can handle these settings, there is something software/driver related going on...I think wink

Thanks,

-AciD