Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Speakeasy

No games working with W2k at all . . .

I've tried installing Age of Empires 2 and Need for Speed 5, but neither of them will start up on my computer. AOE2 will show a black screen and freeze and NFS5 just shows a black screen for a while and boots me back to my desktop. Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to get games working on my computer.

Computer Specs:

Celeron 466

Abit BH6

96 MB RAM

Velocity 4400 (TNT chipset) w/16MB

Monster MX300 Sound

I've installed the newest 6.18 drivers for the TNT card and Aureal's beta W2k sound drivers.

Please help.

The only thing I can think of is a D3D incompatiblity. I have both of the games in question installed and running just fine on my Win2k system. You might want to run the DXDiags in your winnt\system32 directory and see if it passes all the tests.

Ed

Supermicro P6DBE, Dual 600e's @ 800, Fasttrak66 w/ dual 15g IBM,128M ECC, Voodoo5 5500 AGP

I had NFS5 working on a system almost identical to yours under win2k so we know that it will work. One thing you might try that fixed my friend's problems is up[censored] your monitor drivers. He would get black screens whenever he would start up games and it turned out that Windows hadn't detected his Viewsonic PF790 correctly and was trying to use a refresh rate it didn't support.

I'm really surprise, because a lot of games work on my pc with Windows 2000.

Quake 3, Age 2, Diablo 2, X-Wing Alliance, Midtown Madness and Carmageddon 2.

Just one thing for Age 2, I had some difficulties to run this game. Because I have an english version of Windows and a french version of this game (full version cd). And it doesn't work. So I put a warez version in english and everything was ok.

------------------

DiDInSiDe

Ok my AOE II doesnt work mad

any ideaS?

Quote:
posted by my new best friend

Just one thing for Age 2, I had some difficulties to run this game. Because I have an english version of Windows and a french version of this game (full version cd). And it doesn't work. So I put a warez version in english and everything was ok.

Hey I also have the french or whatever version on cd. what can I do to play it?

[This message has been edited by STi Sev (edited 19 September 2000).]

Aoe 2 works in win2k!

But not with nvidias 6.18 drivers, at least not with velocity 4400 (tnt 1).

I have had the same problem with aoe 2 locking up at the start, it does not hang every time, but very often. After installing 6.18 drivers several games stopped working, soldier of fortune, aoe 2, hidden and dangerous etc.

So ihave returned to 5.32 and all is well again. dont know exactly what the problem is

but there seems to be problems with both d3d and opengl.

Hey, thanks guys . . .

It was actually the monitor thing that did it. I set it down to 70 Hz and all went well. So, thanks a lot

zalem, I used the older drivers and it still didnt work.

Im going to try lowering my refresh rate although that shouldn't affect anything!

Quote:
Originally posted by STi Sev:
zalem, I used the older drivers and it still didnt work.
Im going to try lowering my refresh rate although that shouldn't affect anything!

Hm strange!!
Well,
This is my hardware setup:
Aopen Axbc Pro II Millennium Edition (bx chipset)
P3 500@560
256 Mb RAM
Stb Velocity 4400 (Tnt1)with 5,32 drivers
Creative soundblaster live with Lw 3
Ibm Deskstar 7200 Rpm 13,5 Gb
Adaptec 2902 Scsi for cdr
Matsushita cdr
Pioneer cdrom
Promise Ultra Ata 100 Ide controller
Win2k Sp1
And the latest Appcompat files!

Aoe2 and the conquerors expansion works just fine!
When i reinstall videodrivers i use nvidias uninstall program, + that i search for nv*.*
and delete those files,if you try this just make sure you dont have any other files beginning with nv.

If you have a Nvidia based videocard then you could try changing agp aperture size in your bios! good rule of thumb, according to microsoft is half of your ram!

[This message has been edited by zalem (edited 20 September 2000).]

I've been doing better with Win2000 for gaming speed and stability than I ever did with any version of Win9X. These are the games in the last few months that run perfectly fine on my systems with 2000 Pro and Advanced Server:

NFS Porsche Unleashed

Motocross Madness 2

Unreal Tournament

Quake III

Nox

Diablo II

Fakk II

Kiss Psycho Circus

Carmageddon TDR 2000

Midtown Madness

Deus Ex

Vampire

Dark Reign II

Heroes III and Armageddon's Blade

Halflife - Team Fortress and Counterstrike

This is without using SP1 and acompat.

Video cards are Rage Fury (native driver), Viper 770 Ultra and Asus 6800 Deluxe. Motherboards are all BX chipset:ASUS and AOPEN (forget VIA), and all processors are INTEL slot 1 CuMine (550 and two 800's) with PC100 memory (128,256 and 512).

The hardware may not be the latest on the street, but all the games are played in a minimum 1024x768 when the game allows.

There has to be a way for you to get some games you want to play fine. Upgrading the video to a Guillemot TNT2 (which is pretty cheap on Ebay) may turn things around.

And those are the games those I played with no problems on Windows 2000 Profesionnal:

Unreal

MechWarrior 3

Descent 3

Freespace 2

Battlezone 2

Hidden and Dangerous

H-L Opposing Force

Panzer Elite

Ground Control

Tachyon, the Fringe

Shogun Total War

Icewind Dale

Arcatera

Homeworld Cataclysm (now playing)

Thief 2 and System Shock 2 gave drivers specific problems with the GeForce 2 as they did with the Matrox G400. Both games use the same problematic core engine.

well i don't know about you guys but aoe2 worked on my system perfectly, same with ut

for NFS5, try to delete gimme.dll and then run it

------------------

Whistler is or will be better than Windows 2000, if you don't think so, get a reality check and hope it doesn't bounce.

AOE2 worked fine on my 2 computers.

------------------

2 Computers (networked)both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Fujitsu 17.3 GB Ultra DMA 66/10.2 GB Ultra DMA 66

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Creative Vibra PCI 128bit

Matrox Millenium G400 16Mb AGP/Diamond Speedstar 8Mb AGP

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case