Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lpriyamb

joystick in linux?

Has anyone successfully implemented USB joysticks in linux redhat versions? if so, i need details about the drivers available, linux redhat versions. Could anyone help me? I have Logitech WingMan Strike 3D Force Feedback Joystick.

Thanks

I have not tried this but I quickly looked in the latest vanilla kernel and in the latest 2.6.0 kenel.

the joystick will work under both kernels but Force feedback support is only included in development kernels linux-2.6.0testtX.

The good news is that Your particular joystick has specific force feedback support.

exert from .config linux-2.6.0test6

Code:
## USB Human Interface Devices (HID)#CONFIG_USB_HID=yCONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=yCONFIG_HID_FF=y# CONFIG_HID_PID is not setCONFIG_LOGITECH_FF=y# CONFIG_THRUSTMASTER_FF is not set# CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV is not set# CONFIG_USB_AIPTEK is not set# CONFIG_USB_WACOM is not set# CONFIG_USB_KBTAB is not set# CONFIG_USB_POWERMATE is not set# CONFIG_USB_XPAD is not set

I would recomend you give it a try the development kernel is very stable and I am sure it will become oficially released very soon. smile

Thanks... but i heard that redhat 7x supports joystick, may be not a force feedback. If so, can u help abt the details abt the driver support for it?

Thanks once again.

Quote:
Thanks... but i heard that redhat 7x supports joystick, may be not a force feedback. If so, can u help abt the details abt the driver support for it?

Thanks once again.

Linux is the kernel on which all other programs run....
Esentially all distributions (Redhat, mandrake,suse, debian, gentoo, etc...)
have a linux kernel therefore will support the same hardware... The only differences bieng the kernel version and the unofficial patches applied to the kernel by the distributions... An example of a patch normally applied by the distributions is cdrom Supermount. This patch is somewhat unstable and therefore is not included in official linux kernel (Vanilla kernel).
The rest (Largest part, not all) of what is un-justly known as linux is in fact GNU).
Cutting to the chase you can run anything on any Distribution...Easy or Hard is another question.
Usb joysticks are supported by all recent distributions with a 2.4.XX kernel.
Usb Force Feedback is supported by Beta kernels 2.6.0testX
If redhat is your choice of distribution install latest version... 9.0 I think
I loose count... smile

I have had sucess with my Logitech Wingman (work just like a force feedback).

There are drivers out there, I just can't recall where right now. I bet a quick search at http://www.google.com/linux will get you there quickly. smile

In Suse, there is this nice graphical joystick test. Mine worked just fine without installing anything (may be packaged in Suse) , but I couldn't test vibration.

Hello,

The package joystick-1.2.15-11.i386.rpm is available in RH 7.3 OS, well, i tried the steps as in this url, http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwboard/forum/17592.html

But instead of 'modprobe ns558' i used 'modprobe iforce' because the previous one gave me the error,

[root@modena root]# modprobe ns558

/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.7.x/kernel/drivers/char/joystick/ns558.o: init_module: No such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.7.x/kernel/drivers/char/joystick/ns558.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-18.7.x/kernel/drivers/char/joystick/ns558.o failed

/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.7.x/kernel/drivers/char/joystick/ns558.o: insmod ns558 failed

Also, the jstest /dev/st0 gives me the "jstest: No such device" error and sometimes "No such file or direcotry". I looked in the documentation FAQ, it said to insmod joystick.o or joy-*.o it gives me "No module by that name found"....

I use Joystick - Logitech Wingman strike Force 3D. I know that the force feedback is supported only in recent redhat kernel version but when i tried the same joystick in redhat 9 it works fine without force feedback... how to configure it in rh7.3? Where am i wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Priya