Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheese Weasel

Playing Unreal under Direct3D or OpenGL

Can someone please tell me how to get Unreal to use my obviously capable GeForce DDR? I can see where the rendering options are listed under Advanced Options, but no matter what I click on or highlight, it still uses software rendering. I know this is a dumb-ass question, but I don't want to dig out and install my Monster 3D II just to play this one game in Glide. Thanks.

Does it list your Geforce as a capable device when you run the 3d setup? To access this just hit "change device" in display options. If not you'll probably need to get the lastest drivers (6.18) from NVidia's site, then install DX7.0a and it should detect your card.

Thanks for the reply, but I couldn't find any refrence to 'change device' anywhere in the disply options screen. There's something like that in Unreal Tournament (which looks great and plays fast on my setup), but not in the original Unreal. Unreal's Advanced Options menu has a 'rendering' field listed, and after patching it with v226 final, there are Direct3D and OpenGL options listed along with Glide, PowerVR, S3 Metal, and Software, but it doesn't tell you how to actually choose a rendering device, only that these API's are supported. I'm already running DirectX 7a and 6.18 refrence drivers.

I'd like to play the damn game through to the end before it becomes ancient, but not being able to play it in all it's glory on a GeForce-based card is pretty lame. There's gotta be something I'm missing here, folks. Thanks to Jester, and anyone else willing to help.

when u install unreal tournament for the first time it will ask you what kind of graphic method u like to use. the only thing i think it supports are direct3d and software rendering AND your graphics card which should be in the list.

...play quake III it will make better use of that great card u've got there!!

------------------

2 Computers both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Fujitsu 17.3 GB Ultra DMA 66/10.2 GB Ultra DMA 66

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Creative Vibra PCI 128bit

Matrox Millenium G400 16Mb AGP/Diamond Speedstar 8Mb AGP

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case

120W Multimedia

MS INternet KB (PS2)

MS Win2000 Pro

It is there in the advanced options.

Rendering devices is just a list of devices so as to optimize their specific options.

But somewhere in the middle, you may choose your hardware choices. You will see Galaxy Sound listed there first, and below find the control arrow to modify graphics devices.

Always do those changes in Unreal safe mode,

same for changing the resolution, because D3D graphic changes during gameplay make the options screen become garbled.

The is no reason to use the Unreal Tournament Engine hack for unreal if you use the latest patch for Unreal.

A better question is how to apply the 2.26 path to the Unreal mission pack, Return to Na Pali?! The website is 2 years out of date. Anyone know what I need to change? It can't be *that* complicated.

:}

Why don´t you just edit the Unreal shortcut so it reads " ...\Unreal\System\Unreal.exe -safe"? This also works for Unreal Tournament and you don´t need to search for the correct menu in "advanced options"