Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ryanrk

NFS Porsche issue!!!

Have another issue, I fully installed it (500meg) and it loads just fine but when i go to play 'Porsche Test Driver' after the first race when i press esc to go to the second race windows2k does a memory dump and restarts my computer, does it everytime. Any suggestions??? I have my minumum page file at 384 and max at 600, i've changed it to 256 and 500 but it still did the same thing... ??? I have 256megs of ram on my PC.

What's your pc's specs? It's most likely a problem with your video card drivers. Win2k usually lists the file at fault when it does a mem dump? Which file did it list? I can't really help much unless you give me more info.

Where would i go find out what files it dumped, i know it has something to do with Dr.watson. The memory dump is so fast that i can't read the files. This is a pent2-400, 256megs of ram, tnt2 ultra video card using the creative labs latest drivers (i did install the latest Ndivia drivers but it still didn't work).

Ok, i found a minidump file and here's some of the stuff (between all the garbage stuff) i can make out

PAGEPAGEPAGE TUISPI_providerGenericDialog

Porsche.exe vga.dll kmixer.sys music.sys redbook.sys floppy.sys Tapi32MaxNumRequestRetries Tapi32RequestRetryTimeout

NTapm.sys parallel.sys videoprt.sys 3dbgfm.sys Cdr4_2k.sys cdrom.sys

there are like 50 or so files listed ranging from audio, to video and stuff. I"m wondering if i got the right file.

I found the drwatson log but it doesn't have anythign with the recent NFS crashes.

You can make win2k not reboot after a blue screen crash. Go into system properties and under Advanced/Start & Recovery uncheck "Automatically Reboot". That should allow you to see which driver is the cause of your crashes.

I would really help if we know what your system spec are

Like Video card so on down the line

all so have try rename the gimme.dll

in the Need For Speed - Porsche folder

I think they are in a previous message but here they are again,

Pent2-400

Creative Labs Riva Tnt2 Ultra (using CL's drivers, i have changed them earlier to ndivias drivers but nothing happened)

256megs of Ram

128Meg Page file

Sblive

Ethernet card

that's about it

I renamed the gimmie.dll file once but it didn't help, i've installed it again a few times since then, i might give that a try then again.

[This message has been edited by Ryanrk (edited 13 September 2000).]

Well first off you should set your pagefile to at least the actual size of your ram + 9mb (265mb in your case) and not only 128mb as that is what Microsoft strongly recommends doing, especially where memory dumps are concerned. Also try using the latest NVidia drivers. In my experience Creative has never written very good drivers, especially for win2k so you'll be much better off using NVidia's drivers.

[This message has been edited by Jester (edited 16 September 2000).]

Ok, i did a reinstall of win2k (probalby a little extreme but decided too) and i set my page file to 256. I don't get any memory dumps with NFS5 but i do get lockups, i experience a few lockups with games taht use direct3d only, I can run opengl games just fine.. I'm using the latest creative labs drivers and so forth.

[This message has been edited by Ryanrk (edited 16 September 2000).]

Like I said, use the NVidia drivers and your lockups will probably go away. Stay away from Creative drivers.