Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aintravingr8

Anyone had luck with KDE 3.1.4 and RH9?

OK so I'm fairly new to this whole open-source Linux deal and recently aquired RedHat 9. Dual boots quite well with Windows XP so I was impressed in that aspect.

What I want to do now is upgrade my default load of KDE to the newest version 3.1.4.

I ran through the Konstruct routine via \konstuct\meta\kde\make install, all seems well. I made the necessary additions to the path statement to include:

export QTDIR=~/kde3.1.4

export KDEDIRS=~/kde3.1.4

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/kde3.1.4/lib

export PATH=~/kde3.1.4/bin:$PATH

Setting KDEHOME too, e.g. "export KDEHOME=~/.kdetest", will tell KDE to save

your settings to this directory and leave default ~/.kde directory unaffected.

On shadow password systems you have to set $(prefix)/bin/kcheckpass SUID root

or SGID shadow - otherwise you will not be able to unlock a locked desktop.

The complete KDE desktop is started with "startkde", most distributions start

it if you set it to the WINDOWMANAGER variable in your shell initializations.

Now my problem is when I STARTKDE, it reverts back to the older file manager/splashscreen and each application that I supposedly updated indicates the old version.

I am able to browse the bin directory and load konqueror for instance but gives me an error "protocol not supported" upon startup. Also the options are all greyed out as well.

Anyone have success installing this? Can you give me some insight on resolution.

thanks,

So your not familiar then with the Konstruct build process? I was under the assumption that Konstruct goes out and download's all the source or rpm's if you will and does a full build of KDE 3.1.4.

Isn't that what they advertise?

It seems as though all the packages require an additional package which would assume that an automated build would be a much more efficient method of deployment.

Just download *ALL* (well the devel packages aren't needed if you do not compile additional apps, but you may download the qt-devel and kdelibs-devel and kdebase-devel, also arts-devel) the stable packages and to:

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

as root in the dir, where you have downloaded the rpms.

I can't tell nothing about building from the source, but for sure it can have problems and is more slow and not as easy.

And YES - the packages have much dependencies, so search for the libs through your Redhat installation sources.

Quote:
There are KDE 3.1.4 RPMs for Red Hat 9 available:
http://download.kde.org/download.php?url=stable/3.1.4/RedHat/9/i386/

There's KDE 3.1.4 RPMs in the RedHat rawhide ftp archive as well apparently:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/
(you'll have to scroll down a bit or search for it though as there are a lot of packages in there)

Just out of curiosity, do either of these work properly with Red Hat's "BlueCurve" themes? I've been using these under Gentoo for a while as, quite frankly, they're the only good thing about Red Hat's distro and the only thing I really miss about it, and I've noticed that as I've upgraded through successive versions of the redhat-artwork package (0.73, 0.81 and recently, 0.84) more and more of the overall theme seems to be missing.

0.81 seemed to fail to include the KDE version of the "new" BC theme as well as BlueCurve versions of several of the KDE icons (the fact the 0.81 SRPM is smaller than the 0.73 indicates that this might be deliberate) neither of which is any great surprise as Red Hat tends to favour GNOME anyway (although ignoring KDE entirely erodes the foundation of what BlueCurve was supposed to achieve in the first place) but the real surprise came when I installed 0.84 and noticed several GNOME icons weren't properly "BlueCurve-ised" either. What I'm trying to ask is whether this is a problem inherent to the way I'm installing the themes (I am installing them outside of Red Hat after all) or are Red Hat users experiencing similar issues.