Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mad

Can I go back to DX7a (from DX8b2)?

I am currently running DirectX 8.0 beta2... and recently downloaded the NOLF demo. I've noticed that performance is extremely crappy on DX8 (using TNT2Ultra), as this is only a technology test.

Anyway, is it safe if I just reinstall DX7a? I am not sure if I wanna risk everything simply because of a game, please let me know soon!

Thanks,

Huh? Lemme get this straigh. One demo runs slow so you think it's a problem with DX8? Anyways...if you wanna revert to a previous DX look for dxu*.exe in your C:\winnt directory.

No see, this is a technology test, and the company (Lithtech) has even confirmed that people running DX8 will experience slowdowns, as they have not been etsting it with DX8 yet.

So I KNOW that it's a problem with DX8.

Anyways, I am running Windows Me (not 2000), so I hope that file is located in my /WINDOWS/ dir (yes?).

Thanks,

Nope, I can't find that file anywhere...

I also tried simply reinstlling DX7a, but it tells me a newer version is installed.

Is there any other way to uninstall DX8b2?

Thanks,

Mad - The uninstall will be in your windows\system or windows\system32 folder. It's an .exe but I can't remember the name.

--

Xiven

euankirkhope - I am sure I won't get that message, as I am always running the newest build. See, I get my newer builds at http://www.betaplace.com smile

Xiven - I hope so... what does the icon look like, and are you absolutly positive that it is there, even on the 9x version of DX8?

Thanks guys,

Dude, I'm under Windows Me (9x kernel) not Windows 2000.

I don't think a uninstaller exists for the 9x version (what a shame), I've checked the original install cab thoroughly for one.

So is there any other way to savely remove DX8 for now?

oh lol sorry about that, but yeah load regedit up then jump to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/DirectX/ then under "version" change the value to 4.06.00.0000 so that it think DX6 is installed then reinstall DX7

well i toooooooooooo am having a major prob with this beta version..........yes by changing the reg edit..it does convert it back to 6.0......but the main problem is that it doesnt change DIRECT DRAW :-(....can any 1 help me or us with this?MAD........i came up with this short term answer though.......change your date to a month back...ie,sept to aug..at least youll be able to play games...well it doesnt look like there are any computer BOFFINS out there after all eh MAD.............lol

Wolf87 read fine print next time.

NOT for use with Windows Millenium or any versions of Win NT, including Windows 2000.

here ya go guys dx 8 uninstaller just found it today. Havent tested it though

Quote:

taken from tweaktown

Saturday 9th September

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DX8 Beta Uninstaller (By Cameron Wilmot - 10:32pm AEST)

If you were unlucky enough to install a version of Directx 8 Beta (such as build 85) which expires at a certain date after installation you will be faced with just about every DX error in the book. It's shocking when you really want to listen to some music or load up a game... Instead of formatting your HDD to get rid of DX8 Beta you can Download The DX Uninstaller Here which will cure all your problems in a matter of minutes!

Thank you so much, I'm gonna go try it out (will report back with results)!