Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JBoDEAN

60 FPS in HL , no more, no less?

Just bought a 3d prophet 2 mx video card, and have the 6.18 detonator 3 drivers running. WHen I play HL, i get 58-60 FPS constantly. This doesnt seem right. There isn't a lot of fluxuation, and it never goes above 60. I am running at 1024, open gl mode. Any ideas why this is or how to fix it?

------------------

[Here is my system]

Intel Celeron 366 @ 550

Abit BE6 Rv1

Creative Labs TNT2 Ultra

Soundblaster Live! Value w/ cambridge 4 point speakers

Pioneer 6x dvd / 12 x cdrom SCSI Drive

3com 905b-cmb network card

Panasonic 4x scsi burner

IBM Deskstar 13.5g 7200rpm DMA/66

Western Digital 14g 5400rpm DMA/66

256m PC-100 CS2 ram

BoDEAN

http://www.sammyhagar.net

It's a known problem of the detonators ...

Check the Geforce FAQ, they'll explain everything.

I only don't like that they suggest to edit the registry for OpenGL games .... I prefer to edit the mentioned things in the nt4_disp.inf and reinstall the drivers wink

I just don't like the thought to play more in the registry than I really have to.

You can also check right here for a detailed howto for editing the nt4_disp.inf

Well to add to this....

Your frames are being capped by your refresh rate (Stuck at 60 Hz as explained in the last thread).

1st you can change your refresh rates as show in the links, but ALSO you have to turn off VSync. VSync, when on, will NEVER let your fpx go above your refresh rate.

Goto the display properties (right click -> properties from the desktop), and choose the "Settings" tab. Then click on the "Advanced", then "GeForce 256" (In my case, I ASSUME it has GeForce DDR, TNT2U, etc depending on your card), then additional properties, and goto the "OpenGL Settings".

You want to change the "Vertical sync" option from "On by default" to "Always off".

Your fps shouldn't be stopped by your refresh rate anymore.

Here is a simple fix that did helped me to overcome the 60 FPS. Go to driver preferences and DISABLE v/sync.

This will allows you to have more frames then the monitor can display. (Which is 60Htz) Most games set that refresh rate INDEPENDANTLY from what you set in in the desctop. That can be fixed but requares manual edidtin of Detonator INI file.

Why do you really care that you can't get anything above 60fps? I wish my system could do that! Be happy with your constant 60fps and don't disable V-Sync dammit! You'll get horrible tearing problems.

Tearing problems? Explain

------------------

[Here is my system]

Intel Celeron 566 @ 850

Abit BE6 Rv1

3d Prophet 2 Mx (6.18 drivers)

Soundblaster Live! Value w/ cambridge 4 point speakers

Pioneer 6x dvd / 12 x cdrom SCSI Drive

3com 905b-cmb network card

Panasonic 4x scsi burner

IBM Deskstar 13.5g 7200rpm DMA/66

Western Digital 14g 5400rpm DMA/66

256m PC-100 CS2 ram

BoDEAN

http://www.sammyhagar.net

JBoDEAN:

Tearing refers to all the weird little lines and flashing that occurs when V-Sync is disabled and the Video card renders frames faster than the refresh rate. Turn it off and you'll see what I mean.

nagual:

Yes I know my system is old but I'm a poor college student with a car and I can't afford to upgrade my comp. Besides, SLI still works great for CS. Framerate never drops below 30= Jester is happy! smile

Jester : i wasnt refering to your system specs at all, i dont judge ppl by what stuff they own, but because you say that disabling vsync leads to a lot of tearing..it doesnt ir you dont oc a lot (most of the time) and in multiplayer games a little tearing doesnt matter compared to the extra fps you get..

(btw ive always had vsynd disabled..v3 and gf2 and a couple of other setups..qw, q3 and ut run just fin)

I'm afraid that I'll agree that I don't see the point in going above the refresh rate of the monitor. The monitor isn't even displaying those extra frames, so why should you worry about it? Besides that, I daresay that none of you could show me the difference between 60fps and 100fps. The human eye just can't detect movement that fast! I'm just gonna stroll along at my 45-60fps in Q3 smile

Not quite. It's not as simple as how fast the eye can perceive the frame changes in a second. There is supposed to be a demo from 3Dfx that allows the user to see 2 images rotating on the screen: on one side you see the image at 30fps and the other is 60fps. Then you can step up to like 120fps. The reviewer at the site (where I read about the demo) stated that he could discern the change between 80fps and 100+fps. This is even more noticable in game due to mouse lag. If you have a faster framerate, then that means it takes less time to process a given frame right? Well, that translates into quicker response time to user input. I remember the first time I noticed this in Forsaken, when I had the game running at 640x480@120Hz. The hover bike floated a lot smoother when in "idle" position (just floating in space) and was great for long range/fine movement shots with the laser weapon. Most people here have played games that slow down to the teens due to a large amount of activity in game. You would have also noticed how hard it is to aim because you have to constantly correct for your position (the target moves-how inconsiderate-while you are trying to hit it). So the game, which at this time is a slide show, is awful and you try to get to a room with less activity. Normally, I shoot for 60-90fps in game. The input lag is quite small and I am not a big sniper type so there isn't a need for super-fast, super-fine accuracy in the games I play.

BTW, one "cool" thing about SLI and no v-sync is that not only do you get the tearing where there are parts of 2 or 3 frames on the screens at once, but you sometimes have one card rendering ahead of the other. You get this ribbon effect across the screen.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Gerbache Kaznet : actually i can see the difference between 60hz and 70hz +...happened a couple of times at work that i stopped and upped one of our users hz when he was using 60hz..maybe if you get a machine that displays more than 45 fps you could tell the difference as well..