Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
braxin

smp+geforce+smp+win2k+improvements?[q3][ut]post your results

hi,how do the new detonater drivers handle smp in win2k with q3,in the past i,d seen that running q3 in smp in win2k caused a performance drop,has this changed now?,i know that in winnt with an old tnt2 i got 75 fps,by the way how is ut running in win2k,i mean to go out and get a geforce,but not sure whether its the right time yet,thx

------------------

braxanna

I don't have SMP, but to answer the GeForce question; yep, it works great in Win2K. I had a TNT2U in my main machine, and I got a GeForce SDR about 3 weeks ago. I used the 5.30 drivers with it, and now I use the 6.18s. My monitor wont go into "standby" (power down) mode without crashing, but I use the system standby anyway so it's not a big deal. With my config in Q3A, I would get ~52fps running 800x600x32bit, but now I get 92fps at that same res. I don't really use UT as a benchmark for my video card since it seems to have a higher CPU dependency, but it does run really well with the GeForce too. Basically, you can jump up a resolution or two with the upgrade to the GeForce and still get at least the same framerate (you may even get 32bit for free too!).

Win2K Retail

PIII 550@605

256MB RAM

25GB IDE HD (IBM)

ASUS P3B-F

Visiontek GeForce SDR (ver 6.18 drivers)

SB Live! MP3+

Intel Pro/100 Mgmt Adapter

Samsung 5x DVD/32x CD Drive

------------------

Regards,

clutch

[This message has been edited by clutch (edited 18 August 2000).]