Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Johnny

Battlezone2

I cannot get Battlezone2 to run under Win2k.

It installs goes into the menus but when you go to start the game, it crashes back to windows.

It is the already 1.1 Updated version, and no new patch from Activision.

Specs:

PIII450 on 440BX Chipset

TNT2 PRO 32Mb running 5.32 Detonators.

256Mb RAM

MX300 Sound.

I have friends that have the same problem, but they have Voodoo3 and a Geforce2 GTS, running the latest drivers.

Be sure to use the 16 bit graphics, the game is crashing back to windows with 32 bit graphics...

I set it to 1024x768 16bit graphics with PIII optimisation and I can play for 5-10 minutes and then the game crashes to Windows with an Access Violation.

It is further than before but still no cigar.

Actually I haven't had time to run this game longer than 2-3 minutes (lots of other games to finish...), so maybe I'll have the same problem as you. After the installation I just tried to run it with 32 bit graphics in 1024*768, it crashed, and when I set the 16 bit it was fine so I didn't really played longer... I'll try to run it longer tonight to see if I have this problem, then I'll post again. One thing though : once I had this problem of a game (Half-Life) crashing after 5min or so with a TNT2 Ultra on a 440BX chipset (Asus P2B) and I had to lower the frequency and the other parameter of the card with Powerstrip to make it run. Couple of other 3D shooting games were crashing after 5 min too. Not sure it's the solution in your case but anyway I'll check Battlezone2 later tonight to be sure...

here's my config if that can help :

PIII500

ASUS P3V4X Motherboard

256Mb 100Mhz

Hercules ProphetII GTS 64Mb with 5.32 drivers

SBLive! with Liveware3 win2k

Ok forget all I said in the last post, this is definetely a game compatibility problem with win2k, not with the graphic cards. As you said, after 5 min, even less sometimes there is an access violation and the game is crashing, so I looked for a patch on the pandemic studios site. There is an official patch (1.1) but I got a european version and it's already patched with this version. Then I read about a new patch 1.2 that should be out in a few weeks and that is gonna solve these win2k problems. Not cool but a 1.2 beta patch (almost final actually) is already available here (was kinda tricky to find it): http://www.databar.com/BZ2_12b38e.exe

So I patched the game with it and guess what... I finished the first mission without any crash smile

I think it will be safer to repatch the game with the official 1.2 patch when it will be out but well, at least the crashing problem is solved...

Thanks for the info JSB,

Patch worked like a GOD. All memory leak problems fixed. You can even type your name in properly at the start instead of just numbers.

I am still testing on mine (TNT2) and a friends Voodoo3 system, but so far all is good.

PS How the hell did you find the patch??!