Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BladeRunner

Another game company saying no to Win2k

OK, I'm a Forumula 1 fan.

I love the sport and I'm awaiting the release of Formula 1 GrandPrix 3 this Friday (well Friday here in the UK, I can't believe you US people have to wait an extra month for this!)

Anyway, as their web site didn't list Windows 2000 as a compatible platform for this game I decided to fire off an e-mail to their support address and see what I could find out.

Here is the response I got:

Hello

Windows 2000 is a client/server operating system designed to run the daily operation of networks. The OS is designed radically different from Windows 3.1, 95 or 98. Our programs were not designed for and are not supported under the Windows 2000 Operating System. There is no plan to support our products on this OS.

(Name Witheld by me) - Customer Affairs

Now this e-mail wont stop me going out and buying the game on Friday, thankfully my local store offer a 10 day no questions asked return policy.

I know a lot of you guys e-mailed EA when they announced similar, I did too.

I've fired off an e-mail back to them explaining what a bad move not supporting Windows 2000 is, especially as next year's OS will be mainly based on the Win2k code.

If you fancy sending an e-mail with a similar subject, they can be reached at:

customer_support@hasbro.com

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 384MB PC100 RAM (Samsung), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

Translation: We are lazy and since Microsoft said this is a "business OS" then we will not take the time to make it work in 2000. Even though Whistler will be out next year and it is based on the same kernel (in fact the only difference is cosmetic) still we are lazy. Please don't blame us. We suck.

Too right! Games companies need to pull their collective fingers out a little and begin to embrace the sublimity that is Windows 2000. If it is true that a consumer version of Whistler will happen, they need to become au fait with it sooner rather than later.

Mind you, Microsoft will probably backtrack and flog the dead horse of the 9x kernal for as long as they can rake in the profits on it!

Right on, Rik, DosFreak, DosFreak, DosFreak, DosFreak, and DosFreak! wink

In fact, my message to game developers would be, "If you don't want to take the time and energy to make sure your games run for THE premier operating system; the BEST gaming environment, then screw you! I don't HAVE to take the time or spend the money to BUY your stinkin' product!" :-PpPpPpPp

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

Thank God for Microsoft's compatibility patch! Hopefully their August release will have several much-needed games added.

So has anyone had a chance to test the final game yet? (preferably on something with a GeForce and SBLive card!) ;-)

I've been waiting for this game for AGES but I wanna make sure it'll work first (don't care if its "not supported")

Grand Prix 3 works fantasticaly on Windows 2000 very smooth in fact alot smoother than Windows ME which i have on a dual boot with 2k

so go out and buy it you will not regret it.

by the way that is with a voodoo 5 5500

but my mate tested it on his voodoo 3 3000 and was great also.

------------------

MAC

I agree, works nicely under Win2k.

However, I'm forced to play it under my dual booted Windows ME because there are no Win2k drivers for my Guillemot FFB steering wheel, but they are coming.

Laters....

evil Homer

Not only must game developers get their acts together, but also hardware manufactorers. The SB Live don't work well on SMP enabled systems so I must boot to winME whenever I wanto play Alien VS Predator.

Only way to get no crackling/skipping and quad sound. Let the hardware manufactorers also know they must get drivers ready!

lol...all of you talking about WinME when it's not even released to public yet...can I get your address and **** so I can report you wink

I am a betatester and MSN subscriber, so go to ****. wink

Anyway, winME is an OS based on technology from the eighties, while win2k is based on NT. New Technology, that is. Get it? It's just better. No wonder XBox will be based on win2k, and then the PC too is ready for consumerNT.

its been awhile.

I am trying to install this game again but can't. I know i got it installed years ago.

Perhaps my new drives are causing install error (lg dvd burner and lg cd burner)

which happens when i click install on the menu.

i get an ikernal.exe error (looked up installshield help for no help).

i have tried putting a shortcut to the setup.exe program on desktop..and then setting it to win 95/98 compatibility mode.

no luck.

So how do i get this working on windows 2000 sp 4 dx 9.0c

ati 9600 pro?

tia smile