Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Frankie

Athlon + K7M + W2K = Lockups im Games!

Hi,

I have a problem with my computer when i try to play games under w2k. Games like Ultima 9 or MS FS2K (DirectX) lockup very often. 3D-Shooter like UT or Q3A lockup only in very big levels.

I am sure that my computer has no hardware defect (problems occur only with games in W2K) because my computer runs fine with other operating systems! It is no heat problem too! My Graphics-Card, MB, CPU become only 40°. That is quite cool for a Athlon.

My Configuration:

Athlon 600 Mhz

ASUS K7M (newest BIOS)

128 MB RAM (checked -> no problem!)

ELSA Erazor III Pro 32MB (running Detonator 5.32)

SB Live! (Liveware 3.0 drivers)

IBM 20.5 GB Harddisk

300 W Power Supply

Has anybody a hint for me to solve my problems?

Thank you very much.

Frankie

Hey there

I have a similar system config, and i also had a ****load of problems.

First off, I dont know if it was just me, but i found the 5.30 detonators more stable than 5.32

Second. Turn of the Super By-pass in your Bios (under advance cmos settings i believe)

In your hardware acceleration (its in control panel somewhere) lower the slide by one notch...this will hardly affect performance, but apparently drasticly improves stability.

Also (if you want to risk it) try installing directx 8.0 beta. I have it in, and I find everything works great!

Finally go to www.geforcefaq.com and look at the tips they have there...Under generice geforce lockups, and under the "athalon and geforce section"

I have followed their advice, and Have been running quite stable.

Believe me, i know the frustration, I was ready to just replace the whole thing. Good luck!

Go to Asus site and download AGP Driver 5.02 for K7M. This fixed issues I was having with G400. It seems to fix some stability issues. Check to see what stepping of 750 chipset. I think they fixed problems in revision 4 or something. I run with AGP 2x and Superbypass and sidebanding all enabled.

Hi,

my board in rev. 1.04. The AMD chipset rev. is C5. I believe this will not cause the problems.

Installing the AMD AGP Filter Driver from ASUS does nit help me. I use the german version of W2K.

Maybe someone has an idea that really solves the problem. Anyone else here with an Athlon who has the same lockup problems?

Bye

Frank

Guys,

I have an Athlon K7 w/ K7M

I get that VERY ****ing annoying freezing only in Unreal Tourn. and Diablo II, not quake 3.

I know one way of fixing the problem is I went to AMD's site and downloaded "AGP Driver Port Drivers"

this helps a LOT. Also get the new beta drivers from nvidia, also be sure u have the latest game patch!!! (diablo II = 1.02) (Unreal Tour.=4.20)

Also another thing is to use a program called "RegCleaner" and just eliminate a lot of the startup programs you don't need and stuff the run that you dont need..

I dont play UT all that often anymore so it doesnt bother me as much, but diablo II, errr smile

Hi,

do you have no more lockup-problems by now?

I tried nearly everything. Nothing really helps. ;-(

Anyone here who has an real solution for lockup problems in games under w2k?

SP1 will be released next Monday. I hope the new drivers (hope for AGP drivers) in SP1 will solve my problems!

Bye

Frankie

Guys,

If you have tried everything else, and nothing works try this.

On your motherboard (helps if you have your manual so you can track it down easier) there is a 4-pin jumper that controls the VIO voltage (juice that goes to your cards).

the default for this is the middle position which i believe is 3.4 volts.

Change the jumper to the first two positions, so that the voltage is 3.31V

Once again it helps if you look in your manual if you are unsure which jumper this is.

I have done this, and along with all the other "fixes" my K7M system is much more stable. There are crashes once a few days, but thats relatively normal, compared to the constant crashed i had before.

[This message has been edited by mello_j (edited 02 August 2000).]

Messing around with the I/O voltage settings really helps a LOT like mello_j pointed out. But actually, bumping UP the voltage usually helps more than lowering it. Most motherboards default at 3.3V (which is what it is *supposed* to be) so unless the K7V is set differently by default then what he's suggesting is probably changing from 3.3 to 3.4 rather than the other way around. (I have a KA7 rather than a K7V so I can't verify this . . .)

The only reason lowering the voltage should help is if your card is overheating -- lower voltage makes the card run cooler. In that case, though, you're better off going with more cooling than a lower voltage.

Also try seeing what happens if you change the I/O voltage to 3.5. It doesn't always help, and sometimes it makes things worse (especially if you don't also raise the core CPU voltage), but it's worth a shot if 3.3 or 3.4 don't work.

Also try using the new VIA AGP driver off of the GeForce FAQ page (www.geforcefaq.com). I have not tried it, but it is apparently not the driver from the 4-in-1 pack, and it's supposed to increase speed and stability.

ghackmann,

normally i would agree with you, raising the voltage is what i always knew to improve stability especially on an O/C'ed system.

It seems however that for the K7M, the lower voltage specifically improves stability.

I got that from geforcefaq.com, which i think is one of the best resources out there, even for those who dont own geforce's

anyways here is the Q&A as found on that site:

Q. I have an Asus K7M or Abit BE6-II motherboard and I have instability or tearing problems with the GeForce. How can I fix it?

A. Thanks to Markus Weissmann who told me about this solution from Creative Labs:

The Asus K7M has a jumper for selecting the I/O-voltage, which is set to 3.4V by default. Set this to 3.31V (since this is the 'official' voltage for video cards). On the K7M this jumper is on the upper right side, a jumper-block with 4 pins.