Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Michael Lin

Direct X

Win2000 comes with Dx7.0, you don't have to install it. U sure it didn't say Dx7.0a?

How do you re-install DirectX 7.0a? the help says go to Win Update but I can't find it anywhere.... Thanks

You can't install DirectX 7.0a under 2k, you will have to wait for DX8 later this summer. The only other real alternative is to have a dual boot system or just live without certain games and deal with poor DirectInput support (ala sticky keys and mouse button lag).

For those of you who desire greater direct input compatibility and trust a Microsoft beta, the beta DX8 distro is available on several websites; I can't remember exactly where, but I've been running it for a little bit and it seems to work okay. Joystick support is indeed better, as less programs have difficulties interacting with the HAL for a Joystick (I had foudn that several games would not even recognize a joystick and now have no such difficulties)

For those of you who desire greater direct input compatibility and trust a Microsoft beta, the beta DX8 distro is available on several websites; I can't remember exactly where, but I've been running it for a little bit and it seems to work okay. Joystick support is indeed better, as less programs have difficulties interacting with the HAL for a Joystick (I had foudn that several games would not even recognize a joystick and now have no such difficulties)

win2k doesn't have, nor need dx7a. Why? because win98 had a bug where some USB pads had one, NOTE ONE, wrongly mapped button. So when win2k's DX7 doesn't have this bug, there needs no update. By the way it was an N64 emulator that found the bug. Nemu (i think).

euankirkhope : youre full of it

first its the directinput issues then theres the other stuff like some games today actually needing dx7.0a (deus ex for example which just happens to ROCK especially in win2k) btw : i think that there are som soundissues adressed by dx 8 (which ive been running a couple of weeks now and runs just fine..but hey..maybe im lucky)

[This message has been edited by nagual (edited 27 July 2000).]