Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wind

Diablo 2 final problems

Well, to start off with, kickass game smile However, im having some problems in win2k with it which is a bit disturbing considering its supposed to be compatible with it. After playing the game for however long, I exit the game..do whatever I do normally in windows, but when I try to run the game a second time my machine freezes and I have to hard reboot. For some reason, running the game twice under the same boot freezes my machine. I looked to see if anything was running that shouldnt be and it wasnt.

I have a dual p3-500 with a asus v6600 running 5.22 detonator drivers. Anyone having the same sort of problems or have any ideas on how I can fix this? Any help appreciated smile

this same bug was in the demo. The Direct3D accelerated version is the key here. If you run it in DirectX 2D view only, the game will run and close and run again without crashing. Now, this may be fixed in the v5.30 drivers, so try those as well. Future patches (of game and drivers) should alleviate this.

:}

I just saw that a patch to Diablo 2 is already out. I didn't see this bug listed as fixed, so that may mean it is/was driver related.

Ah ok thanks smile Ill try the patch first and then if that doesnt fix it then the 5.30 drivers.

I have that exact same problem. Kinda disappointing since I just bought a Geforce 2 GTS w/64 MB of ram and it won't work. Hopefully somebody will fix this soon. The image quality sucks when you are running 640 x 480 on a 21 inch monitor.

so anyone try the 5.30 drivers yet for the D3D support in D2? does it work?

even the d3d version is 640x480, so be prepared to be disappointed even when it is working. I have a 21" monitor too and such a low resolution does indeed suck. I like it better at the 2D version, though, and there are people pushing for a mip-mapped D3D version (it wouldn't change the art resolution, but such art would scale and smooth better in an upres).

Honestly, the gameplay in Diablo 2 is great, but Darkstone (all d3d) with FSAA on (you can't change res in DS either, but you can put FSAA on!!) is gorgeous on my 21". I like the 3d nature of the game too. Diablo 2 is one view only...weak.

They should have made a movie beginning with ACT I Cinematic. Absolutely awesome! The voicing, animation, ambient sounds, etc. deserve an academy award. Truly the best cinematic I have ever witnessed in a game. Hats off to the Blizzard crew. I know this does'nt belong here...forgive me...but...ohhhh..the EVIL......ha ha ha

I have another problem with diablo2:

When I launch the game I have a black screen 2sec and it put back on win2k. I can not lauch the game... :-( always back to win2k!!

All 3d tests has been tested and all are OK

I have Win2k, Athlon 700, and Geforce DDR.

I use detonators 5.30.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! It's too hard!!!

I can not play!!!

------------------

May AMD to be with you!

hey I hve this problem only with the D3D mode!!!

I can play in directdraw but it's very bad...

Who have a solution??? I have a geforce DDR

I have the same D3D problem! I wish they would fix this and soon! =P

------------------

Win2k, PII 450, SB Live!,

3D ProphetII 64 meg w/5.30 drivers,

128 MB Ram, Creative PC-DVD 6X w/dxr-3

Strange... I'm usin the 5.30 drivers and it still doesn't work... u have it working?

------------------

Win2k, PII 450, SB Live!,

3D ProphetII 64 meg w/5.30 drivers,

128 MB Ram, Creative PC-DVD 6X w/dxr-3

For a while my version of diablo 2 was just restarting my computer at will. Then i got server extension errors. I switched to 2d and it works fine now just something with my gforce i guess. My story.

For anybody that's having problems running Diablo2 under win2k in D3D, try changing the PCI memory texture size in the display properties/advanced/riva TNT2/additional properties/direct3d/more direct3d to 64. Did the trick for me. I'm running TNT2 Ultra 32MB AGP and Nvidia TNT2 3.20 drivers btw..

Cheers...

These problems with D2 final etc are totally NVidia related, so it's highly unlikely Blizzard will be releasing a patch.

Running a Matrox G400MAX here in D3D mode and have none of the issues.

Can open and close the games in one session as often as I like etc etc

at last someone besides me thinks nVidia sucks concerning drivers. Sure, they make some awful chipsets, but their drivers are terrible. For example to get OpenGL to work with Det 5.30, I need to copy the "nv_disp.dll" (I think that´s it´s name) and "nvogl.dll" from Det. 5.14 into the \Windir\System32\ subdirectory. Hell no, this Reg tweak doesn´t work at all on my system.

I leave you with some words of wisdom from my ol´ pal Duke: "This really pisses me off" wink

Yup,

I'm not going to deny that the NVidia based cards have amazing specs.

There is nothing else on the market that can compete, but......

Until some reliable drivers come out, people are always going to have problems.

I've seen postings where the solution is to install an old driver, or the last but one driver.

There seem to be so many different versions that nobody seems to know what they should be using.

Now my G400MAX might not be the fastest card on the market.

It might be now almost two years old, but at least I have reliable drivers that don't seem to have half the problems NVidia drivers have with lots of games.

Since 3DFX refuses to put a T&L unit onto their boards and nVidia´s drivers stay that crappy my next vid card is going to be a Matrox, too *hint* *hint*

Already had a few Matrox boards, the Millenium, Mystique (no, not the advanced ones smile )and the Productiva G100. Matrox is somewhat the creme de la creme concerning video cards. God, I love ´em.

Preacher: Are you kidding me? Matrox is just as bad, if not worse than nVidia regarding drivers. I know a lot of people who bought a G200 that got burned because of the lack of drivers. I personally had to get a V2 even though I bought a G200 to play 3d games because G200 had no support what so ever. I don't think I'll ever buy another Matrox card again because of my G200 experience. They bring innovative products to the market place...sure...but over-priced and lack of support.

Agreed.

I can in no way support Matrox for what they did in the past.

The G200 was a nightmare, thankfully I never purchased one, I stayed with my Matrox Mystique 220/VooDoo2 combo.

However.....

Matrox are excellent now.

They had stable beta drivers for the G400 pre Windows 2000 release time.

They have updated the drivers about three times since Win2k was released.

Each driver has been that little faster and that little more stable than the previous.

I see lists of games listed as 'incompatible' with Win2k, as soon as I try and play them on my system they fire up fine.

GTA2 is a good example of this.

D2 is too, although it runs ok with NVidia chipsets, there are lists of problems.

These simply don't exist with the drivers for my G400MAX.

By the end of the year my G400MAX will be two years old.

At this time I will purchase a G800, I'm very pleased with Matrox I'm also very pleased with their drivers.

OK, so I loose a few fps by going Matrox over NVidia, but I'll take the loss for better compatibility any day.

Matrox the creme de la creme? Man, someone's living in the past!

Matrox took over the niche that was previously owned by NumberNine with their Imagine 128 card for 2D acceleration. Matrox had their brief, shinning moment and beat out S3D cards sold by the likes of Diamond, etal.

Matrox was king of the 2D-cards for quite some time (a long time in computer industry terms). However, once 3Dfx came out with their original 3D-only Voodoo chipset, things started to change for people wishing to have a good 3D gaming card. (There was one other good but shortlived 3D chipset in their, a Power-whatever, or so I recall). I owned the original Orchid Righteous 3D voodoo card, later replaced my a more stable Diamond Monster 3D one.

3Dfx maintained the lead in 3D gaming cards for quite some time, later producing the Voodoo2 chipset licensed to OEM's like Creative (I've still got two Creative 12Mb Voodoo2 cards stuck in a drawer somewhere, along with a FireGL Pro, which was used for 2D). And Matrox still held a good share of the 2D market, as well.

The Voodoo2 chipset held its own even against up-and-coming rival NVidia, who came out with the original TNT chipset shortly after 3Dfx's voodoo2's. The TNT chipset was good and it was fast and it offered 2D and 32-bit graphics, unlike the Voodoo2's. However, it couldn't hold a candle to the raw 16-bit speed of two Voodoo2's used in tandem.

That's about when everything changed. 3Dfx announced their new chipset, the Voodoo3, would ONLY be produced by 3Dfx, basically telling all their previous OEM's to get stuffed. NVidia, meanwhile, started production of the TNT2 and the TNT2U, both of which offered blazing performance in 16-bit and acceptable performace in 32-bit color.

With the GeForce cards, NVidia still maintains their huge market share in the gaming kingdom, second place being held by 3Dfx. I haven't used a 3Dfx card since switching to the TNT2, and later the GeForce, but I know this. I've never...NEVER...seen so many damn released and leaked drivers provided for any other video card, even my old FireGL.

Buggy releases or not, they're still the best going, IMHO. wink

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat: You talk to it but you're never really sure if it hears you, much less comprehends what you say."

How can you have something be buggy, but still the best?

A lot of people have a lot of problems with the Nvidia drivers. Until they get sorted out, a lot of people are going to resist buying new GeForce cards.

At the time I bought my G400 MAX, the TNT2 Ultra had just been released. I seriously thought about buying one, but in the end, I fancied the Dual Head options offered by the Matrox card.

Since then, all I have really read about Nvidia are driver problems. New drivers are released on a regular basis, and as has been mentioned before, you need different releases of drivers for different games.

No manufacturer is perfect, and some people will have problems, however, my Matrox experiences so far have been flawless.

I'm still running a Mystique 220 in my second PC at home, and it is rock solid.

I was mildly interested in the GeForce II cards, but given the drivers are still buggy, I don't think I'll bother.

I have no particular loyalty to Matrox, and if Nvidia got themselves sorted, I'd jump ship straight away.

In the mean time, I'll stick with what works.

I own both a Geforce 2 and a G400 Max, to be honest both have their good and bad on drivers. It all depends on your system, if you are using K7, Geforce drivers works better than G400.

Btw let me say something neutral, when G400 was out it did has problems with its driver (lots of them if I may say) but they do improve over the past year. So I do think Geforce driver will do the same. Shame is that by the time the drivers are stable, the cards are already too old.

Man, I don't even know why this is even an issue. I have NEVER, EVER had a problem with GeForce or its drivers in Windows 2000, and I'm currently using 5.30. If you guys want to falsely bash Nvidia, go ahead, cuz I'm over here running frame rates with "0" problems that you guys only wish your Voodoo's or Matrox's could do. Later.