Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the mahcaws gillifish

Having problems installing *any* Linux

Hey, I'm brand new to Linux. I'm pretty sick and tired of Windows in general because it's just a pain the the @$$.

Originally when I decided I wanted to switch to linux I did my reading a chose Mandrake as I thought it would be the best option for me. I downloaded version 9.1 and using Alcohol 120%, burned the iso's to disks. The disk boots fine and seems as though it will install until it gets to the part where I choose where to install from. It won't recognize the CD (now this is the cd I *just* booted from) or the hd as containing the installation files. I thought it might have been a hardware compatibilty issue so I've since played with my cdroms disconnected the cdrw etc. all to no avail. Deciding this was an isolated issue I downloaded Redhat 9.0 only to find myself in a similar situation. It boots fine and then won't install from the CD.

What in the heck am I doing wrong? I know when I tried installing mandrake I had to use the alt0 kernel at the boot screen at the begining of the installation because if I use the one it defaults to it would cut out and give me an error at the Detecting USB something or other screen. I don't know if anybody has any suggestions but any ideas at all would be helpful

I downloaded the SuSE boot disk and tried to install it over my dsl but I have a PPPoE connection and it only gave me options for installing over a regular DHCP connection when I tried to install that.

Right now I'm downloading the iso's for mandrake again and I'm going to try burning them using nero instead.

Help me! hehe I really want to use this and this just isn't working out for me at all frown

I would take a look at SuSe 8.2 pro. I currently use it but i am going to switch to gentoo because i want something more advanced.

i found that SuSe was remarkably easy to learn how to use and system configuation is made alot easier to learn with YaST2

if you can't get burned cds to work i would try a bought copy (some computers and software have problems with iso's)

for a beginner i would recomend SuSe 8.2 or Mandrake 9 (stay away from 9.1)

once you learn it and get into linux you will never switch back to the hellspawn of windows laugh

I hope so hehe... I have been dilligently working on this for about a week now but it's making me feel pretty dumb hehe :P

I think I'll dl mandrake 9.0 and try that. Any ideas where I can get SuSE? I'll try to download it first and if that doesn't work I'll go out and buy a copy, I just would like to try this stuff before I actually go ahead and buy it

Well you guys can delete this thread lol :P It was all Alcohol 120%... It always worked fine for all my other iso's but the linux ones didn't burn correctly. i *aquired* a copy of nero and gave that a shot instead... I'm running Mandrake 9.1 as we speak lol laugh Anyway, it's not running as fast as I thought it would but I have a lot of stuff to be mucking with as I can longer get into either of my windows LOL... (I read something about it on here I just forget, something about problems with LILO and windows?) anyway I'm looking for the thread so yeah anyway you can delete this thread smile

It is advisable before burning any large .iso to a disk to compare the md5sum.

Most download mirrors provide the file and its md5.

All you will need is the Md5sum program for MSdos.