Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rave_T

Uninstall Mandrake 9.1

Hello...

I got Win xp installed at C: on one harddrive

and Mandrake on another disc.

Im using LILO -bootmanager and now i want to erase mandrake and LILO.

Can i only with Powerquest Partition MAgic format the linux section?

Will my computer boot with XP then

if not how do i get ridd of LILO and Linux??

Heres a picture from Powerquest Partition Magic if that can help you http://rave_t.tripod.com/pm.JPG :P

To get rid of mandrake and lilo.

insert your mandrake install disk and re-partition your linux partions, and format them to fats32. Then reboot.

Then boot windows with a win 98 boot disk or winXP install disk.

Basically you need to get an dos console and type

Code:
fdisk /mbr

But dont give up on linux it is hard but well worth it! smile

Code:
fdisk /mbr

And what if you are using an OEM version of Windows?

Quote:
insert your mandrake install disk and re-partition your linux partions, and format them to fats32. Then reboot.
Code:
fdisk /mbr

But dont give up on linux it is hard but well worth it! smile

But what do you mean with re-partition??

Quote:
Code:
fdisk /mbr

whats OEM??

Download the winXP installation rescue disks from MS.http://techtips4u.com/downloads/

As far as re-partitioning.

If you installed any linux you will have at minimum have made 2 partitions,

a root partition and a swap parttion. You will want to repartiton so that they become 1 and format it to fats32.

Quote:
Download the winXP installation rescue disks from MS.http://techtips4u.com/downloads/
As far as re-partitioning.
If you installed any linux you will have at minimum have made 2 partitions,
a root partition and a swap parttion. You will want to repartiton so that they become 1 and format it to fats32.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I've been wanting to get lilo out of my mbr for some time now.

Cant anyone give me a detailed description in how to get rid of Linux and LILO on my system. As i said befor i also got Win XP Pro and it just XP i want to keep and get rid of linux/LILO ??

As im consider myself a newbee in LINUX i would like to get as detailed description as possible. smile

Is this a detailed explanation?

Quote:

Code:

fdisk /mbr

if so...when i done all that is my system LILO/LInux free ?? and when i reboot will it boot with win xp as before??

Thanx!

Ok I'll try explain iit simpler.

1. Boot with Mandrake Install cd 1

2. Follow installation up and till the Disk Drake. (drakX partition wizard 9.1)

3. Choose "Custom partitioning"

4. Your windows partition will most probably be hda1 (DO NOT TOUCH IT!)

5. You at minimum will have 2 other partitions hda5 / and hda6 swap (Example)

6. You need to delete these partitions, Click on the partitions you wish to change > delete, you will be left with an un partitioned block.

7. You now click on the empty block "Create partition" set the Size slider to max. set Fliesystem type FAT32. set mount point /mnt/win_d

8. Then click on done it should ask you to format go ahead.(ONLY FORMAT THE NEW PARTITION!)

9. The Mandrake install will now complain that you have not made a root partition.

Simply Power down by hitting you P.C. power switch.

10. Insert Windows boot media (win98 boot floppy winXP install Disk or winXP rescue floppy)

11.Boot up to a dos Terminal.

12 type > fdir /mbr

13. Reboot you are done no more lilo or Mandrake.

thanks for the tip ...this was exactly my question also. Will try this and hope it works. Am getting a new HD and giving the old one [that hopefully won't have Mandrake on it] to a friend.

i think that if you had spent the time to learn it you would have liked linux if not mandrake try SuSE or Redhat but don't give up distros can be VERY different from each other, try a few before you give up

ViolentGreen wrote:

Quote:

If you have not yet done so, make an emergency floppy in Windows. Put fdisk on it. Boot from the floppy to a DOS prompt and run the command. The /mbr is an undocumented argument for fdisk that restores the boot record of a Microsoft formatted disk. 8)

Quote:
Ok I'll try explain iit simpler.
1. Boot with Mandrake Install cd 1
2. Follow installation up and till the Disk Drake. (drakX partition wizard 9.1)
3. Choose "Custom partitioning"
4. Your windows partition will most probably be hda1 (DO NOT TOUCH IT!)
5. You at minimum will have 2 other partitions hda5 / and hda6 swap (Example)
6. You need to delete these partitions, Click on the partitions you wish to change > delete, you will be left with an un partitioned block.
7. You now click on the empty block "Create partition" set the Size slider to max. set Fliesystem type FAT32. set mount point /mnt/win_d
8. Then click on done it should ask you to format go ahead.(ONLY FORMAT THE NEW PARTITION!)
9. The Mandrake install will now complain that you have not made a root partition.
Simply Power down by hitting you P.C. power switch.
10. Insert Windows boot media (win98 boot floppy winXP install Disk or winXP rescue floppy)
11.Boot up to a dos Terminal.
12 type > fdir /mbr
13. Reboot you are done no more lilo or Mandrake.

Will that get rid of the Linux partition all together and have the hard drive back into one piece? If so, How would I go about doing so? I want to get rid of Linux AND the partition and want my C drive back to 60 gigs. Id appreciate ANY help.

Quote:
Quote:

But what do you mean with re-partition??

If you install a dual boot system using a single hard drive, you must create a separate partition for Windows and Linux. This usually happens during Linux install. The install program will make the disk into two sections one for Windows and the other for Linux (the install program will also make the Linux section into several partitions) once they are made, the install program puts everything in the Linux partitions. If you use two separate hard drives, the one you have selected for Linux will get several partitions during the install. M$ cannot read Linux file systems. If you want the Linux partitions back for Windows, you must change the file systems on the Linux section or drive back to a file system that Windows can read - this is what he meant when he said "re-partition"... 8)