Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shadey

Win2k 5.22 drivers, UT

Does anyone has tested this yet ?

does UT run now in opengl ?

what's new in this ?

thx for replies !

I have not yet tried the new drivers, but if they are as crappy as 5.16 and 5.17 UT won´t run with OpenGL. I´ll test 5.22 soon smile

Ummm....c'mon guys. I know that OpenGL is faster than D3D but who wants to use your GeForce in UT using OpenGL. It has several graphics glitches like lobbing grenades with the rocket launcher and not seeing textures.

I don't even know why this is an issue. Epic doesn't care about OpenGL nor will they even be implementing it in future titles. They are going straight D3D.

I knew 5.22 was out for 9x(yuck)...but haven'

t seen it for W2K.

where can I get these drivers?

Well, finaly I've try theses 5.22 ....

Same **** than 5.16 and 5.17:

No OpenGl in UT

No more speed in fps in opengl/d3d

SMP support seem to crash ramdomly in Q3...

Maybe going to wait for later, later versions ... frown

LedZep,

If most of us want opengl support, this is because:

- ogl is faster, much faster in fact

- ogl allows to get rid of M$ monopoly a little bit

- ogl games are easier to port to other oses

- 3d design software is for ogl

- the future is with platform/os independent software: watch for how the split of M$ will change things..

BTW if Epic does not support it, I'll stop buying their games - there is a life after UT and tons of very good stuff elsewhere smile

I have a theory on the Detonator 5.22 OpenGL issue. If the file responsible for correct OpenGL functions within Det 5.22 is broken, why not replace it with a working one?

The name of that file is actually "NVOGLNT.DLL" ...

Gotta check this out

OK folks, here is what you´ve got to do to get UT running in OpenGL mode using Detonator 5.22:

First, download Detonator 5.14 (see www.reactorcritical.com for these drivers)

Second, install Detonator 5.22 (ok ok, you already did that smile )

Third, don´t reboot your machine yet, as this would be a waste of time.

Fourth, decompress the Det. 5.14 to somewhere on your harddrive.

Fifth, go to the directory containing the 5.14´s

and copy these TWO files: "NVOGLNT.DLL" and "NV4_DISP.DLL"

Sixth, paste these two files into your "WINNT\SYSTEM32" subdirectory, overwriting any existing files there.

Seventh, reboot your machine and enjoy UT with OpenGL again.

Oh, btw, I don´t know if there are any problems arising due to merging parts of 5.14 with 5.22. Please post here if you encounter difficulties

Geez, found out the hard way that nv4_disp.dll isn´t backwards compatible with nvoglnt.dll. Had some BSOD´s. Using W2k, I thought these were a myth... wink

Frog,

I agree with you whole-heartedly, but if you or anyone else is trying to play UT with OpenGL, you are just wasting your time.

Better wasting time to get OpenGL working than wasting FPSs

Dammit, got disconnected while transmitting this posting frown

I don't know about the rest of you, but overall D3D runs better than OpenGL on my PIII 733/CL GeForce SDR rig. Yes, in some maps OpenGL is faster, but in others it gets 'bent-over' by D3D (in particular the Beach Assault map).

I love OpenGL (Q3A, HL, CS, SOF etc), but the programmers for UT have already told us that D3D is their primary API, so don't fight a losing battle - switch to D3D and enjoy it for a change.

Switching to D3D to enjoy ... can´t think of anything right now. On my system OpenGL is at least 15 fps faster than D3D. And concerning those black textures where there should normally be a rocket trail or grenade:

D3D is for beginners who don´t want to tweak their settings. Better leave OpenGL for he pro´s... wink

Seriously, there are differences in the system specifications of each users machine. On some OpenGL is better, for others D3D works best. But the best API is still Glide, until OpenML is fit for the market wink

On all my machines, ogl has always been faster than d3d : I want fps!

As far as the black trailing squares are concerned, I don't really care as I never use the rocket launcher. My preferred weapons in UT are the sniper riffle when it is available, or a pair of auto guns : fast and clean frags. I miss a q3a style gauntlet though, that's is real sport.

I agree with you and cannot wait to grab a Voodoo 6000 to play smoking glide smile

Preacher,

You need to clarify some of your statements. The Pros? I consider myself a pro, been building and maintaining systems for 10 years (since I was 15!) and more I have a degree in engineering and computer science. And am now a successful IT person for a very respectable company. Enough of that, I view problems like this. If something works great, I'm not going to waste my time with another API, especially if the D3D is around 60 fps. Yeah I agree OpenGL is better and faster. But on my 733 Coppermine on BX board, there is no sense in wasting time with OpenGL if D3D is SOLID on UT (and very fast). The purpose is to have fun and play games, not spend all day trying to debug an API that it wasn't mainly designed for. I don't know about you, but I'm out to have fun.

Glide as the BEST API????? C'mon, you know that is BS. First off Glide isn't the sole API in games anymore (hardly at all!!). Number 2, Glide is based on ONE brand of video cards 3dfx. Now tell me, how could the best API be based on only one brand. You would think the best API would be based on EVERY video brand. And if it is so hip, then why is 3dfx phasing it out? Also, I'll be surprised if that company is around in 3 years, their stock has gone to ****. Later.

ledzeppel,

what I meant by using the word "Pro´s" was that with a little tweaking the OpenGL settings in the Unrealtournament.inf file can be altered to a way that there´s no more black missile trails in the game.

If you get 60 + FPS in UT using D3D, that´s absolutely perfect. Noone (not even I laugh ) can see any difference in going from 60 fps to ´bout 70 or maybe even 80 (assumed OpenGL would still be faster). But there is a SIGNIFICANT difference going from about 15 fps (D3D) to over 40 by using OpenGL, which is the case with my system (OC´d Celeron 300A @ 450, GeForce DDR, 256 MB 100 MHZ SD-RAM).

I agree the purpose is to have fun with a game, but 10 minutes into some trial and error to fix some graphics bugs isn´t wasted time.

Yeah, Glide is still the best API. From what I´ve read on several news sites OpenGL is too hard to code for and D3D doesn´t come with the functions graphics developer want for their games. That makes Glide superior. And anyone who makes a great API and hardware for it would be stupid to share with others. That´s why 3DFX sued Creative for their glide wrapper called "Unified"

Oh, btw, do you know how to install Unified using W2k?

Preach,

Well, I guess I'll have to "agree to disagree" on the Glide issue. You'll never convince me it's the best API (even though I do believe it is AWESOME and is easier to code for). I just can't say it's the best since it is only based on 3dfx technology, and I like 3dfx products. But (in my book) for something to be the best it needs to be solid with all video cards, and if that means OpenGL or Direct3D, then cool.

I only used that unified driver once and didn't find it very solid. There are a lot better glide wrappers out there. Most people that are in the emulation scene know about them. But anyways you can go and try some out at www.ultrahle.com. Later.

ledzeppel,

it all depends on the viewers POV.

Several months ago, 3dfx had planned to make their Glide API available for other graphics hardware manufacturers, so it´s going to become the best API for you, too.

What I´m looking for is a Glide emulator I can use to play 3dfx only games with my GeForce.

Preacher,

Would you please tell more about the UT ini file tweak to optimize ogl?

After reading this topic, I discovered that besides the black squares thing, sometimes I get weird textures (like random color pixels) on some weapons. Not all the time though.

Tia.

Preacher .. 15fps in D3D? are you trying to run the game in 1600x1200@32bit or something because I'm averaging 40-45fps @ 1024x768@16bit in UT(D3D) on this 300a@464mhz/128mb/TNT2 Ultra 32mb w/ 5.22 Det's ,This is in Win98se I havent installed UT in 2k yet,i'll post again if theres any major change in 2k..

Frogmaster

I posted these settings a while ago, here they are again: open the Unrealtournament.ini file, go to the OpenGl section and insert the following lines, deleting whatever is in that section.

Don´t forget to make a backup of Unrealtournament.ini before changing it in any way!

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]

Translucency=True

VolumetricLighting=True

ShinySurfaces=True

Coronas=True

HighDetailActors=True

DetailTextures=True

DescFlags=9

Use32BitTextures=True

UsePrecache=True

UseMipmapping=True

UseTrilinear=True

UseMultitexture=True

UseTripleBuffering=True

Use32BitTextures=True

UsePageFlipping=True

UsePalettes=True

UseFullscreen=True

UseGammaCorrection=True

Use3dfx=False

These settings are optimized for my system, maybe you need to change a thing or two.

Mathesar,

I´m running UT in just 1024x768 32 bpp with everything set to maximum quality. "If it slows down graphics, activate it!"

Preacher thanks alot smile

Random corrupt textures prob have gone and also the trailing black squares.

I run UT in 1024x768 32-bit everything maxed in preferences and get average 45 to 50 smooth fps in the Liandri level staying in the huge central room. Very playable indeed. I get 15 to 20 fps less in d3d, with lots of stuttering.

So opengl rulz for me wink

------------------

Abit BP6 - QQ bios - 2*Celery@583 MHz - 192 MB Pc100 Ram - Seagate 6 GB - Seagate 4 GB - HPT66 IBM 20 GB Ultra 66 - Iomega // Zip100 - Toshiba DVD SD-M1212 - CDR Sony CDU 928E - HP Deskjet 815C - Philips Vesta Pro Webcam - NIC HP 10/100 - Elsa Erazor X2 GeForce 256 DDR - Sound Blaster AWE 32- Alcatel 1000 ADSL - Dual boot WIN2K Pro 2195 and Win 98