Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clutch

UT2003 Installation Tip

I was having problems with Unreal Tournament 2003 not allowing me to switch CDs when installing it from the CD set. So, here's a tip that I found from digging all over the place; don't install from your mountpoint since the executing process will tie up your device and you'll get a "device is busy" response when you try to eject/umount it. What you can do is just copy the linux installation script from the third disc to your home dir, and execute it from there. It will then prompt you for the CDs and installation should work fine from then on. Also, there was a bit of a mixup just as the discs were going gold, so the prompts will not have the proper CD names. If you use my directions, then all you have to do is insert the first CD after you copy over the installer script, and then the second, and third as prompted.

Thanks to Toby for pointing out the installer was on the third CD, and sending me off on the wild trek. laugh

Oh, and one more note of interest. The game, once installed, will not ask you for your CD in order to play. So, for people that bought the game but still have to get no-cd cracks to keep from scratching their CDs or just being annoyed at having to dig them out, this is great. I just thought I would pass this along...

Thanks for the tip.

I'll install it this weekend.

Clutch do you got enough bandwith to host a server for a few days?

It would be cool to for the posters here to play and see who's the no.1 fragger on Linuxcompatible. smile

I know it wont be me laugh

I got ADLS 512/512 could it be enough bandwith to host? I don't know how much UT requires....

/Toby

It should be fine if you are hosting with a cap of about 8 people or less. My upload is only 384K on my cable line, so I would more than likely not fair much better than you. smile

Ok, I'll host it laugh

Hope there's some more people who is willing to play, if not we can post it on NTCompatible too. smile

Will update this thread tomorrow with the hostname/ip ..

/Toby

Is the Unreal Editor or Maya PLE available on Linux as well?

I guess not, but just want a confirm on this.

zero0w: unfortunately not, if you like i, enjoy tinkering with modding you'll have to dual boot ;(

instead of copying the install script to your home directory you could also just run the script using the full path name.

For example from your home dir. type:

$>sh ./mnt/cdrom/setup.sh (or whatever the filepath is)

as long as your current working directory isn't /mnt/cdrom you will be able to mount and umount the drive without headaches.

Zero0w;

I have Maya 4.5 running perfect in Mandrake 9.0.

The rest of ya all, I had to manually disable automount, and comment out the devices in the /etc/fstab, then mount and unmount the CDs manually as root until the install completed properly. Yeah it is a pain.