Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dittob1

LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project)

I have Mandrake 9.0 on my computer and i have no earthly idea how to onfigure LTSP to work with my thin clients. I have 2 Wyse 3360SE Thin clients and they are set up for RDP but from my knowlege LTSP does not support RDP. Please Help

;(

Jay

Do you know how to setup LTSP in the first place? I think that is were my problem is. I have the rpm version and it is installed....but i dont know were to go from there....by the way i am a newbie

Jay

well i'm not sure on how to config LSTP, but i know ximian comes with a terminal service(s) that supports rdp, also i know that SuSE comes with the rdesktop protocols etc, but may need further configuration, you may want to research on these things further...

Hi, I am using LTSP and having great fun.

I had a few troubles, at first I was using Redhat 9 (Shrike) and installed the RPM then I found the K12LTSP schools project http://www.k12ltsp.org. The best bit about this project is that with the blessing of Redhat it has produced it's own branch of Redhat 9 (and Fedora - which I'm using now.) So I did an Redhat update that included the K12LTSP branch of Fedora, but I was none the wiser, I still couldn't get it to work (or maybe 'get my head around it'). Eventually burned the ISO's (to rw's of course,) and did a fresh install and if I remember correctly I didn't have to change anything, it all worked according to plan.

You'll find all the information about the project here, http://www.k12ltsp.org/contents.html with links and instructions on downloading and instaling the ISO's which I found helpful in comparisson to the LTSP docs (although these need to be read too smile )

I've just realised I didn't make it clear why I'm saying all this :x The very best bit of this distro is that you are getting a regular Fedora distro with an option to install LTSP right there in the setup screen. see here for explanatory screen shot. This means no messing around with the config files (as mentioned in the LTSP docs,) until you've had a chance to see what it is they do and by then you'll probably only need to tweak them a little.

The remote terminal booting has been a sticking point for me and until I get a chance to try a different network card I'm simply bootingDebian on my little old Pentium and typing the old...

Code:
    jon#  X -query 192.168.0.254

Note to new noobs, I've included the path to X in my ENV

It's been very well put together and all I really had to do was add a repository source for apt-get to get additional RPM's from www.freshrpms.net for things like Webmin, Frozen Bubble Wine and Xine - which was in Redhat 9 but I couldn't find it under Fedora. Fingers crossed, nothing's broken yet!

Sorry I can't help on RDP though, need to find out what it is first wink

hang on, isn't RDP Remote Desktop Protocol that old Window kinda useful lump of cheese? If so, take a look at the screenshot below, from K12LTSP.org of course!

screen4_sm.jpgrdesktop running Windows2000 Terminal Services Session