Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Josua2311

problems with DivX and Nvidia

Ok, here we go... I read through some posts and figured you people want to help even dumb people like me, so I give it a shot..

I use SuSE 8.2 Prof on an Intel Pentium 1.9 GHz

well first thing:

since I couldn't play AVI videos or DVDs, neither with MPlayer or Kaboodle or xine, I tried to install the newest DivX Bundle.. which I did. but it still doesn't work, and when I try to play something with MPlayer it even gives me an error message:

"MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: key_events"

second problem:

I can't get the nvidea graphic drivers to work, I downloaded them and installed them, then activated the 3D button in the System Menue, but I still can't start 3D-Games, for example

well, those are the most significant problems I have :-) I hope somebody can help me, I'm still pretty clueless about all Linux but I will figure out.. :-) hopefully

thx for your help! l8er, Jan!

well, i'm a longterm suse user myself, and have ran into these problems, but solved them with little effort, anyhow since suse is a rpm system, you want want to search what you need over @ http://rpm.pbone.net http://www.marcooo.de http://www.links2linux.de and maybe others, you can easily get the divx4linux rpm from one of them, install easily, for the nvidia problem, first you should try reading the nvidia-howto-installer on suse's site, if that didnt help, reply, and i'll see what i can do...

well, both I installed already..

for the DivX4Linux, I downloaded and installed the divx4linux-std-20030428.tar.gz with "tar -zxvf ..." and started the install.sh file with "sh ..." it didn't give me any error message, so I guess it has been installed, but it still doesn't work, and if there is supposed to be a player included I can't find it...

I installed a new version of xine and it plays avi movies just fine, but no DVDs or Mpeg 2 files, or better it plays them, but without any sound and pretty stagnant...

and for the nvidia, I used the online update option in SuSE, there it downloaded the new drivers (asking me to accept the rules and stuff for NVidia) and installed it automatically, but it still doesn't seem to work properly... I simply do not know at all how to cope with such problems since I have NO clue about Linux, I'm a bloody newbie... what can I do but ask? :-)

thx..

for nvidia go to XF86Config-4 file and change the driver from ¨nv¨ to ¨nvidia¨ it should be located in /etc/X11/ as for dvd movies you prob need decss (or whatever the initials are) to decrypt the dvd. do a google search for ¨linux dvd suse¨ and you should get plenty of help . The previous post that recommended the site that gave you the divx4linux file should have the proper files as it is a xine site ( i believe)

good luck

hi, i have a problem installing Divx. I compile the install.sh and it seems to be successful but when i run it it says file not found. I am new to linux, please help.

ok, now it works stupid me forgot ./ anywaydoes it come witha player or do the codecs work for mplayer. i still can't watch .wmv clips and .avi movies.any really good player with all codecs i need ?

well, just read what it says up in the other topics.. get the divx4linux package and then get the newest version of the player you like

I find that Mplayer and xine work quite fine with DVD/VCD and avi or mpeg files...

but....

what do I do about the bug that Linux is not opening the DVD or CD drive after I watched the movie? somebody told me it's a known bug...

any solution to that yet??

For your Nvidia problems go to:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

and download:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.mun

To install the package you need to be logged on as root, and be in a character based mode; do this by booting with "safe settings"

If you don't have experience character based you should put the file in the directory you want it in with your graphical interfacce.

Once you have booted to a character based inter face go to the directory where you have the driver you will need to make it executable with the command

chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.mun

-then run the program with the command

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.mun

- after this you will need to run sax2 to configure the drivers.

I don't know what your experience with a character based boot is , but just in case you havn't used it before open files with "cd filename" and to get out of a directory "cd .."

[/url]

I am totally new to the system of Linux, so bear with me. I got the DivX codecs from DivX.com and unpackaged the contents. I see the file "install.sh". But how do i open it? People have said something about putting a "./" but where? Is there a certain place i have to unpackage everything to? Im confused..plz help

I'm assuming you unpacked it in either Nautilus or Konqueror? You have to do the install from the command line. In your menu, you should see something like "terminals." If it gives you several choices, just pick one, it doesn't really matter which. After opening, you will see something like:

[maximo@maximoscomputer maximo]$

You must now become root or "super user." You do this by typing:

su [enter]

Now you will see something like:

[maximo@maximoscomputer maximo]#

Notice the $ sign is now a # sign. This means you are now root or super user.

You now have to change directory to the place where the package you are trying to install is. So you get there by going something like:

cd /divx [enter]

or:

cd /documents/divx [enter]

or wherever it is.

Once inside the directory where "install.sh" is, you're ready to rock! smile

Type:

./install.sh [enter]

I don't know what will happen after that because I don't know the package, but this should at least get you started..

Ok..thanks for your help. I think I got the codecs installed. However, now when i try to play me AVI file on MPlayer, it says

Fatal Error!

MPlayer Interupted by signal 11 in module: key_events

Has anyone had this problem, or know the solution?

Quote:
Igor@telester:~/Documents/DivX/divx4linux-20030428> su
Password:
telester:/home/Igor/Documents/DivX/divx4linux-20030428 # ./install.sh
telester:/home/Igor/Documents/DivX/divx4linux-20030428 # Igor@telester:~/Documents/DivX/divx4linux-20030428> ./install.sh
bash: Igor@telester:~/Documents/DivX/divx4linux-20030428: No such file or directory
telester:/home/Igor/Documents/DivX/divx4linux-20030428 # cp: cannot remove `/usr/local/lib/libdivxdecore.so': Permission denied
> cp: cannot remove `/usr/local/lib/libdivxencore.so':

I get this when i want to install DivX under SuSE 8.2

I also got the file install.sh

How can i do it?

First of all try to check out, what the intall script does to find out the errors.

cat install.sh

Maybe you can track down the error then.

Instead of su try su root, maybe it switches to the wrong user.

Dumdideldum you're on the right track. I just installed Suse Professional 9.1 and have learned much!

I was having a problem running nautilus or konqueror as root, and had a dickens of a time trying to find out why I couldn't do this like with every other distro I've used.

Turns out, for security reasons, Suse doesn't like to pass some permission to users who simply "su", but prefers one to actually become root as you mention. This was also true for the dispaly of each of the above mentioned programs.

To truly run as root in Suse, you have to go:

sux -l root [enter]

Then you can run those programs as root with ease. smile