Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Klaus

StarCraft on Win2k

Hi...

My StarCraft don't run...

After of the install the windows says... Don't find a archive on the CD ...

I catch a file on net, the files fix it, but don't work on Win2k what i had to do?

(I know my english sux)

Sorry I can't help ya, but my StarCraft runs flawlessly!

------------------

-------------------------

Win2k, PII 450, SB Live!,

Viper770 w/5.13 drivers,

128 MB Ram, Creative PC-DVD 6X w/dxr-3

Take some money down to the store and buy it... that will fix you right up!! smile

Sorry... I've only heard of that problem when you're trying to run off of a burnt copy. No offense, I hope....

If you are playing with an original disk, then I don't know what the problem is.

I don´t know if my original StarCraft CD works, but the Virtual Drive image I created works flawlessly, even without a crack.

I think your error message is caused by one or both of the following issues:

1. do you remember some older postings about StarCraft not being able to run with Win98 (no SE), but it worked flawlessy with Win95? This was due to some updated CDFS drivers within Win98 which were not compatible to the Win95 ones. I´d suggest there is a similar problem with Win2k. I´m not sure if this works with Win2k, but try replacing the "cdfs.sys" file in the "\WINNT\system32\drivers\" with the one from either WinNT 4.0 or Win95, where the WinNT version should be more compatible.

2. Try inserting the CD into your first CD-ROM drive (ok, so that one´s relatively cheap but might do the trick wink )

Hehe... The second is ... laugh

I'll the second... If works i'll post here ok?

I don't found the cdfs.sys only the cdfs.vxd(for Win98) can you help me? where i found it? thanks!

Mine works perfectly on Windows 2000 also. Try completely uninstalling the game and reinstalling. The error message sounds like it can't locate either the CD or some file on the CD. Is the CD good, or is it in some way damaged? Or could your CD and your CD-ROM drive be having problems getting along? Will it install and run on another OS on the SAME machine? How about on another machine?

is because of the drive e guess... If i change that file cdfs.sys the cd will work...

but to find that file is...

When i have the Win98 the SC works, but now...

MY ENGLISH SUX i KNOW!!! :P

Try the following:

get yourself Virtual Drive 5.1 (at www.farstone.com)

Install it. The software will create another CD-ROM drive which will use the first free drive letter.

Create an image of your StarCraft CD.

Insert this newly created virtual CD into the virtual CD-ROM drive.

Remove the original CD from your physically existing drive.

Install and try running the game using that image. If that works, I´m afraid you need a new CD-ROM drive

OK, so we now all know your english sucks.

Let me tell you something. I, and I guess all of the other guys here too don´t care if your english is good as long as we can undestand what you want. My english isn´t the best neither so please keep those comments out.

No offense meant wink

For the past month my computer has been randomly rebooting, then I narrowed down the problem to Starcraft. When I exit Starcraft, it's tab stays open in the task bar, and if I try to end the process it just stays there. When I try to reboot volentarily it says waiting to end task and just sits there. So basically I have no choice but to leave it there. Then after about 15 mins my computer will just reboot. It does this everytime after I quit starcraft and occaisonally while I'm in it. I wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask this, but I figured it was a Win2k problem. My friend is using win2k and starcraft without flaw, but I have some wierd incompatability. I emailed the blizzard tech support and asked on the starcraft newsgroup but noone gave me an answer. Anyone else having this problem?

LOL. I would just like to say in Klaus's defense I have a burnt copy of starcraft and it works perfectly. It must be something else. Btw.. I burned it because I left the cd in this broker cd-rom and it got thrown out. Luckily I still had the case with the cdkey.

My problem with Starcraft on Win2k is that the game minimizes immediatly when it starts up. It tries to open, but then just minimizes. I click on the taskbar to restore it, it fullscreens for a half a second, and then minimizes again. The only way to turn it off is to just end task on it. I dual boot to Win 98 SE, and it works fine in there...same cd, hardware, everything. If anyone has any idea as too what might be the problem.....please, let me know.

Thanks in Advance

[This message has been edited by Dolarin (edited 15 May 2000).]