Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Galilee

Unreal Tournament and RAM

Hi.

I have installed win2k many times but allways gone back to win98 due to the lack of drivers for some of my hardware. The thing I have been pleased with is the performance in UT in D3D on a GeForce. Much better than in win98. I used to have 256MB ram but now I have only 196MB. I didnt think about it and installed win2k (now that all the drivers I need is here) and fired up UT. hmmm the performance was not as good as I remember. The game chached really heavy on my harddrive.

Has anyone else experienced UT using a LOT of RAM? I guess I just have to get back the 64MB a friend borrowed.

I am running 192 meg of ram with a Voodoo3 3000 on Win2k and Unreal Tournament flies! I really don't see what the difference will be though from 192 to 256 really but maybe.

Yepp but you use Glide. UT allways flies with Glide laugh

But I agree. It seems strange that 196 instead of 256 can make the difference. But if it is not that then its something else with my win2k setup. buahah hope not

Maybe try running Defrag for your harddrive. Could be fragmented from the install. Maybe? Couldn't hurt.

I recently upgraded my system from 128 to 256 mb ram, and the performance difference in UT was awesome. Running it on a TNT2 Ultra under direct3d has given me no lag and very little load times (with the 4.05+ patches) under 2000....the extra RAM made all the difference in the world

I have a P3 550 and 256MB with a TNT2U (5.13 Drivers). When I ran Q3 and UT on this driver rev, I gave up on dual booting with Win98. Both games run so well on Win2K that I only have 98 on my other machine just for controller/CD-RW support. As a matter of fact, UT runs better in Win2K than in Win98! I am not certain why you would have problems, but I know that I can run UT at 1024 in 32bit w/o any probs.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I've also got 256MB it appears that this may be the optimal threshold for WIn 2K. Remeber that the operating system itself uses a hefly amount of RAM before you even think about loading any games.

I upgraded from 196 to 256 and all the harddrive chaching dissappeared,

I am now a happy fragger smile

I have 128mb RAM and UT really sucks under

Win2000! I use a TNT1 on D3D and the game could run faster if there weren't those hard loading times during the play!

I have 384 MB (damn sweet) and when I play some UT it gives me a memory peak up to 160 MB over current RAM usage before playing UT wink

160? that might very well be correct considering:

I have 256MB- no hdd chaching

with 196 I had hdd chaching.

that is 64MB difference, and cince win2k use maybe 70MB just to run

160+70= 230 (196 to little, 256 enough)

well i,d like to get a geforce,but since i really like ut,ive kept my v3 3000 for its glide capability,what sort of frmae rates do u get in ut useing direct 3d?

------------------

braxanna

Your framerates in UT will peak in the 40-45 fps. I've seen benchmarks of a gigahertz athlon and a geforce DDR get 45fps....that seems about as high as UT is gonna go(for now) but hey thats fine with me.....muns sweet as hell on my tnt2 in 1024@ 32bit color....can't wait to see it on the V5 5500 i'm gonna be grabbing. =)

thx,what speed is your cpu,how much ram,win2k or nt4?,is the tnt2 an ultra?i get 47-8 fps at 1024x768,16bit colour,though with glide in 16bit and direct3d in 32bit,there seems not to be too much difference,about the same direct3d does look much better in 32 bit thtas for sure,hmmm

Yepp the GeForce has similar frames than the Voodoo3 with one major difference. Even though the Average fps is the same the MIN FPS is much lower. In a big room with some people I can get unlucky and get 15fps-

But I think the prosessor is very important in UT in d3d. I have heard people have 50fps all the time in 1024. And they have like PIII-700 or something. I have Celeron 450 so I guess its a little slow

in system ini after [386enh] add :

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

then itll use ram before swap..have had lots of friends that have LOTS of ram that doesnt get used before swap..works nicely under my 128meg system too =)

[This message has been edited by nagual (edited 11 May 2000).]