Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gothic

PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!!

Can ANYONE please tell me how to install Quake 1 on W2K... I have 1.06 Quake CD and when I try to install it,says DOS WILL NOT RUN ON NT!!! I read of ppl playing it in this fourm and saying it runs great smile I really miss good ole Glquake sometimes...ANY help would be a blessing.

The easiest way I can think of is by using a cracked version. I have a quake 1 folder that will run without an actual installation b/c it was already installed and cracked elsewhere. Just the Quake1 folder after it has already been installed and cracked in win9x and place it in win 2k and it should run just fine smile or if you have a dual boot systm, just run the exec from where ever the folder is and it will work.

I was just thinking about installing that havent played it for ages, have you tried APCOMPAT.EXE on the win 2000 cd?

I was thinking about that...Retail Quake 1 dose not install....It just inflates to a folder and you dont need the CD after that....cool I will try that THANKS!!! P.S.Where might one find a "CRACKED" version....what is "CRACKED" about your's? :P

Q1 was still a 32-bit DOS application, and so will **** up badly under W2K.

Go to any worthwhile ID mirror site (CDROM, etc) and download a front-end called WinQuake. This is the EXE that'll let it run under W2K.

The exe you need is GlQuake.exe.

It will run flawlessly and very fast in open GL in Win2k.

There is also a special version of this exe which enables fog, mirror effects, etc.

If you do a search on such sites as planetquake.com, stomped.com, telefragged.com or even maybe 3dfiles.com, you'll find them.

GlQuake has been released some 3 years ago I think.

The other exe is more recent and seems to be still under development by a bunch of fanatics smile .

I definitely love this game.

It has been sitting among my favorites on one of my hds since Win95 times with around one gig of additional levels and mods.

First off....I cant thank you guys enough for ALL the help...MANY...MANY...THANKS!!!! My problem was I could not get Quake to install. I would put in the CD and run setup but at the license screen I would get "DOS QUAKE WILL NOT RUN ON NT" then it would boot me back to desktop.Then I tried the APCOMPAT.EXE thing and selected the DEICE.EXE...BOOM!!! IT WAS THERE smile I then installed GLQUAKE and got flashing textures frown unplayable to say the least...Today I got the new 5.16 drivers....ahhh....perfect...never looked better. B.T.W. 94.2 FPS in Quake III Arena at 800 x 600 on a GeForce DDR,PIII 600,128 RAM...A 10 FPS increase over WIN 98 SE...Who said WIN 2000 is not for games?

i booted to dos, installed Quake, came back to Win2k, installed GLQuake, ran perfect. You cannot just install Quake under Win2k, at least, i couldn't.