Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Battleship

Intellimouse Explorer probs in games

K, here's the prob. I'm running Win2k with a Explorer mouse, in the games Unreal Tourney and Quake 3 I get mouse lag, pauses, and some times my mouse buttons seem to stick when I shoot causing the guns to continuosly fire even when I'm not pressing the buttons. It happens in both games but is more persistent in Quake 3 making it pretty much unplayable. I should also point out that otherwise my frame rate is great. I am using the latest drivers from microsoft and the mouse works great in windows desktop.

Heres my specs:

Celeron@541 Mhz

Abit be6

V3 3500

SB Live

128 megs ram

13.6 gig Quantum Fireball in ATA66 mode

3Com 3C509 NIC for @Home

Hmm. I'm using the BE6 R1 and my Intellimouse Explorer (Intellieye) is on USB. Could you try switch from USB to PS2 or PS2 to USB and report back with the results? I have no problems with my games.

Ya sorry I forgot to put that in my post. I have tried switching to ps2 and I still get the same probs.

my intellimouse explorer croaked hard moving from w98 to w2k. I assume this timing is a cooincidence, but since it now stops, stutters, and freezes every few seconds, I just popped on my old USB mouse and no problemo. I am assuming a hardware failure in the mouse.

:}

The Intellimouse Explorer is extremely picky about the surface it runs on. It is preferrable to use a black cardboard as the surface. I got quite a major problem with this mouse not pointing where I want it to point to with my mousepad, after that I use a black cardboard and it seems okay.

Not too sure about the sticking button problem, I do not have this problem with the button, only the movement problem.

Actually I find this mouse is a piece of craps. Its advertisement says it works on thousands of surface, yeah yeah, all BS. The sample mouse was placed on top of a mirror. It gives the customer an impression it works on mirror as well, and it would be so smooth if it works on mirror of course, but it doesn't work on my mirror or glass. I say it is a BS. For those who plan to buy one, I strongly urge you to think twice, don't get conned by the advertisement.

I sort of disagree with the last post.

I would agree the intellimouse explorer is not that great. Its bulky, and you need a hand like ET's to reach the side buttons. A buddy has one, runs win2k and does have some problems with it.

However, I bought the "Microsoft with Intellieye" mouse which uses the same optical technology, but is almost the same size and shape as the regular intellimouse with balls - err ball. Its also quite a bit cheaper than the Explorer.

Other than a bit of jumping around in some game interfaces (Need for Speed PU, Messiah, Ut), it works fantastic. My frags have definitely increased in fps games because of this mouse.

They also say you shouldn't use the mouse on white or clear surfaces. I've been using the mouse on a white EverGlide pad for 3 months with no problems either. Go figure.

I got this from a Rainbowsix.net it explains the problems

"Slow Mouse Blues - [11:05 PM PST by TheZealot]

Saw on RS Retreat that they have confirmation from RSE on the existance of the "mouse delay problem when clicking buttons" while playing Rogue Spear or Urban Ops on Win 2k. The problem is with DirectInput driver, and they plan to fix it in a service pak or with a Windows Update patch."

Dear kasnitch,

I am very surprise you said it works on your white mousepad as well. It didn't work on mine. How should I say it? It definitely works on white surface, but the pointer isn't listening to your movement. I conclude it as not working.

You said you disagree with what I said, I am not sure if you disagree also with the mouse working on glass and mirror or not. It definitely does not work on mine. [in this case, it doesn't move at all!]

Craps... better ask Microsoft not to display their mouse on top of mirror.

I use my Intellimouse Explorer on top of a peice of cardboard.. it works perfectly.. cardboard has the texture neccessary for the intellieye to find it's way around..

The mouse lag thing in UT I had, but fixed by turning off DirectInput.. the button sticking problem I still have, however...

------------------

-Da_G

Somebody mentioned you needed hands like ET's to reach the buttons on the side of the mouse...well, he's wrong. The mouse is the first mouse I've found that'll fit my large hands. This mouse for me is like a dream mouse--it fits my hands perfectly. Of course, this means that the rest of you small-handed people have to suffer with the other, smaller, regular copies. Whatever the case, the Intellieye is awesome.

I'm with the last guy on this topic. This has been the best mouse I have ever owned, considering I have large hands. Most mice are awkward, because my fingers hang over past the buttons. The only surfaces I've found troublesome for this mouse are those with any degree of reflectivity. If your surface is non-reflective, it works great. Although the mouse was working fine directly on my desk, I bought a black Kensington pad with a gel-filled wrist support, more for the wrist cushion than for the mouse pad itself. The mouse has been incredibly smooth and precise on that pad.

did you upgrade the Intellipoint software? v3.1 is shipped with the mice..i found upgrading to v3.1a helped a few bugs....