Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tristan777

quake 2 crusher demo, and possibly win2k

ok, i was trying to run the crusher time demo on my comp to benchmark it. i have 3d now opengl for quake 2. not sure if theres a different version i should use instead but thats what i am currently running.

heres my specs:

amd k6-III-450

viper v770 ultra w/ (detonator...well i forgot which version but they're the only ones windows will load with, otherwise it just freezes at the splash screen everytime. also it installed my card as a tnt2 not tnt2 ultra. im not sure if that matters.)

128 meg pc100

sb live! value

13 gig hd(windows is running it in PIO mode according to the primary ide channel properties in device manager. not sure how to fix that. in the bios it says udma33 or ata33 or whatever. my cd rom is running DMA though...)

ok i think thats all u will need.

i also have a p.o.s. 56k v90 modem and a netgear 10/100 nic but i dont think that stuff will matter.

is there any special tnt2 optimizations for quake2 or does quake just run like crap on everything except 3dfx cards?

all of my scores were like in 20-30 fps. even with 8 bit textures and lower detail and stuff....

I am doing a boot-time defrag of my Win2K Pro box (using Diskeeper 5) so I can't run the benchmark yet. However, I know that I was getting much better performance than you are stating. Here are my specs:

PIII 550

256MB RAM

Asus P3B-F

Viper V770 Ultra (ver 5.13 drivers)

25GB IBM HD

Win2K Pro (Retail Box)

Turtle Beach Montego Sound Card

Intel Pro/100 Mgmt Adapter

I hope that this defrag will end soon (2.5hrs and still going)...

clutch

------------------

Regards,

clutch

[This message has been edited by clutch (edited 15 April 2000).]

Now that I am thinking about it, what kind of mother board do you have? The processor and video card sound cool, and there have been problems in the past with a poor mobo causing degraded performance. Maybe there is a BIOS update or drivers that you may want to look in to.

clutch

------------------

Regards,

clutch

i have a fic pa2013 mobo w/ 1meg cache, and a via apollo mvp3 chipset.

there was an update that i needed under win9x that updated agp, isa, and pci bus, along with usb. but that comes with win2k. as far as bios flashes... i havent checked on that yet...

Well, here are the numbers:

crusher

800x600@32bit 38.0fps

1024x768@32bit 33.6fps

demo1.dm2

800x600@32bit 74.4fps

1024x768@32bit 54.1fps

This is a fresh install with no mods or tweaks (weapon is visible, etc) and I left McAfee, a web browser (with ntcompatible.com!) open, and AOL Instant Messenger open as this is the way I normally play. My TNT2U is clocked at 170/202. I hope this helps.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Must be something wrong with your setup guys!

I get 97 fps @1024x768 in Crusher demo with the best possible quality settings for Quake 2 ...

------------------

Abit BP6 - QQb1 bios - 2*Celery@583 MHz - 192 MB Pc100 Ram - Seagate 6 GB - Seagate 4 GB - HPT66 IBM 20 GB Ultra 66 - Iomega // Zip100 - Toshiba DVD SD-M1212 - CDR Sony CDU 928E - HP Deskjet 815C - Philips Vesta Pro Webcam - NIC Realtek Fast - Elsa Erazor X2 GeForce 256 DDR - Sound card Yamaha Sax - Alcatel 1000 ADSL - Dual boot WIN2K RC3 "Free" and Win 98

The only thing "wrong" with our setups would be the TNT2U vs. the GeForce in your setup...

:-)

------------------

Regards,

clutch

hmmm... i dont know. thats pretty high for hi quality and everything...

theres got to be something wrong with mine because i saw some benchmarks of like k6 2 350s and stuff with voodoo2s that were higher than mine... i dont get it...

I posted :

"I get 97 fps @1024x768 in Crusher demo with the best possible quality settings for Quake 2 ..."

This is no hype as you seem to think.

I should I have added that the GeForce is overclocked at 130/310 and the fsb runs at 106 MHz. AGP bus is thus running at 70+ MHz.

DDR memory on the Erazor X2 is SGRAM which is slightly faster than regular DDRAM.

All these factors cumulated seem to make the difference smile

The reason why I bring up the diff between the GeForce and the TNT2U is becuase I have seen machines similarly equipped to mine but using a GeForce get between 2x and 3x my framerate. And since mine was maxed out as well (32bit, max textures) the number falls inline with other benchamrks that I have seen.

As far as "hype" goes, I am not certain about that. It seems that you would have a fast machine for gaming, whether you know it or not.

wink

Tristan777, have you tried the ver 5.13 drivers yet? I used the 5.14 set yesterday and fell to 6fps at 1024x768. I proceeded to can them ASAP and went back to my favorites, the 5.13s. You may want to try them yourself

------------------

Regards,

clutch

ok these drivers are really giving me a headache. it seems like theres a new version released every day and i dont know which ones suck and which ones are the best. i have 5.13 and i supose i will try them since u said they're good. right now i am running some really old ones. at the time i got win2k these were the only ones i could get to work. i'm going to go install the other ones now. i hope that helps out.

ok i installed detonator 5.13 and i get the same 20 fps or there abouts... also do u think it might be because of vsync? i cant figure out how to disable it in windows...

maybe i should try overclocking my tnt2u also...

frog- sorry. its not hype ok.

Well, the vsync setting will only affect you if your setup can run at, around, or over your monitor's vertical refresh rate. And at 20fps, I don't think there will be much of a threat smile. How does this setup run in other games? You have Q3? I would like to know how your machine is doing in other OpenGL games. How is the D3D? Maybe we can determine if it's just Q2, OpenGL, or all gaming in general that's affected.

BTW, what version of Q2 are u running? I was using 3.20

------------------

Regards,

clutch

in quake3, i get 31.6 fps with the "High Quality" settings on demo001. im not sure if this is decent or bad or what. also starseige tribes seems to run alright in opengl. im not sure how/if you can benchmark it though.

half-life runs okay in direct3d, but i dont have any benchmarks for it. if you know where to get one, i could try that out and tell you my results.

i am running version 3.20 of quake 2 with 3D-Now! opengl.

btw, thanks for all the help.

Well, I get 58.7fps in HQ mode. I have heard of driver probs with certain mobos before. I don't know if you would get that great of a jump with your processor, but I think that you are getting robbed. Did you have Win9x on that same setup before? How well did it perform then? A friend of mine got around 30fps no matter what he did in Q3 with an AMD K6-350 and a Banshee. I believe that you have a much better machine than that, so you should cross 43fps at least in some game. I also know that my Celeron 450 was not that much slower than the P3 that I using now, and it's a good deal faster than your current setup. I have to study for my TCP/IP exam 2nite but I will take a look further into your hardware to see if there is anything that I can think of.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Oh, and np. Don't mind helping those who help themselves.

wink

------------------

Regards,

clutch

well the k6s fpu is a real peice compared to the celeron, and i didnt know this when i bought the chip, but my k6 III should do quite a bit better still than that k6 2 350, due to the k6-IIIs tri level cache and the banshee isnt so good from what i have seen on a friend's comp...at least it would make sense to me...

i still think i should be getting better performance than i am. i supose i could oc my cpu and v770 but i dunno if its worth the extra $ for fans...

Sorry bud, I haven't been able to dig up anything as of yet for you. If I do, I will send it to you. Good Luck.

------------------

Regards,

clutch