Woodlet

dx 5 in w2k?!?!!!!!

I ran dxdiag, and it told me that

1) it couldn't run advanced driver tests

2) I have dx5 installed on my machine!

how'd that happen?

what's up with that?

anyone got any Ideas?

anyone got dx7 full setup that they could e-mail me?

ssawoody@earthlink.net

Thanks!

No, you're loonking at the file versions which start with 5..... I can assure you that you have DX 7. There is no way that you could have DX 5 it isn't even compatible with NT 4 let alone Win 2K. Don't worry there's nothing wrong, as Tristan says DX 7 does indeed install with Win 2K.

What could have possiblely happened, is that an older game installed Dx5 for you... The really early games did that sort of thing. (circa Dx2-3).

Dx7's version number doesn't have a '5' in it.

we.. that's what the DX diag says..

I start up that, and on the front page it says

Direct X version: 5.0

I was like WTF?!

I knew 7 installs with win2k..but that friggin sucks ass!

Ra won't stare because of a MSVCRT.dll error(think that's the Dll).

Could the two be related somehow?

direct x 7 sucks? y? well the install might be on the win2k cd rom...but it shouldnt even allow dx5 on there since like damien said its not compatible.

Look at the bottom of the first tab in DXDiag.exe. It will say DirectX 7. The DirectX files tab (the next one over) shows that all Directx7 files have a version number of 5.x

I agree that this in confusing, but it is correct.

:}

I got the directx control panel thing and it shows version -1, cool huh? anyway i got this wierd prob with my geforce, it worked with d3d, now it doesn't, and dxdiag shows no d3d and no agp

wierd huh? It was a clean w2k install...

ahh what the hell, i'll just reinst again

------------------

If it doesn't work, PLUG IT IN!

Dragon-Lord,

Actually I'm having the same problem. If I look at the first tab on my machine, it reports that I

A) am running DirectX 5.00.2180.0001, and

B) I'm missing a ton of files, according to the DirectX files tab.

The tool also says that several files are missing, and several files are too old.

Is it supposed to look like that?

What does yours look like?

[This message has been edited by Homeboy (edited 22 April 2000).]

eek that does sound bad. perhaps a reinstall of directx7 for w2k would help. search this message base for info on the debug version on the MS site. Otherwise, an upgrade install or fresh install may be in order...sorry bout that. :{

I tried to reinstall DX7... and I downloaded both the file from the MS DX web page and the file from this forum. Get this... the file from MS said it wanted Win95 or 98. The file from the forum said that I had to be an administrator to run it - and I was logged on as the admin! Try and figure that out. Anyway, I extracted the files from the one that complained about being an admin and put the ones in the readme in my windows/system32 folder. Guess what happened? Now I can run the hardware test. And it passed.

Another thing you can do to check whether you have DX7 or not (since it wouldn't let me install it for some dumbass reason) is to get 3dmark2000 from download.com. It will only install with DX7, and verifies that on installation.

So that brings me back to the original problem I was having... my comp locks up with D3D based games. If you want more details, please check out the thread I started... that way I don't have to type everything out twice.

http://www.ntcompatible.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000900.html

An additional note: A fresh install shouldn't be necessary, as I just put my current installation in on Monday....